PS2 Problems

Closed Thread

PS2 Problems

Hello,

Just bought a PS2 on Sunday with all the fixings. Went to some places in Mong Kok and bought 4 games for $100. They all worked fine, but one kind of seemed to almost be skipping or something, I restarted and then the machine acted like no disk at all. Normally with this type of game you get a message to insert a playstation or playstation 2 format disk if there is something wrong in the whole game thing. so I exchanged it for another one, next one did the same thing, in fact it also make some strange noise in machine. So I went to a shop in Kwai Chung today and made a purchase of 5 more games including the one game that I had earlier with all the problems thinking it may have something to do with that batch of the game.

I got home and the same game makes noise and doesn't work, another 3 from Kwai Chung also do not work but one worked fine with no questions asked. I find the other games do not make as much noise though.

Anyone have any ideas? Sure seems strange. It is the slim PS2 and like I say it is playing some but not others. All are the same "type" so to speak.

Ones that work:

GTA San Andreas
    Driver Parallel Lines
    Call of Duty 3
    Hitman Blood Money

Ones that are acting like no disk inside. (Comes up with browser and system config options)

Just Cause
    GTA Liberty City Stories
    Need For Speed Carbon
    Smackdown vs Raw 2007

either they have a bad copy (got it from the same source) or the laser inside needs to be calibrated or has been changed. try to play the games that don't work in someone elses machine.

deleteduser

This is why I only buy legit consoles and games.

Legit games yes but I have yet to see 'illegit' consoles - ha ha ha!

Turns out I just didn't know how to put the disks in proper. Just proves I am not a very experienced gamer

Hi all,
    Discobay, an illegit console is one that has been "chipped" to enable it to play all region and copy games, this mod instantly invalidates any sony warranty, as I found out recently. still it only cost me $200 for a new laser from 198 Wanchai Road. My wonderful son had decided to see if he could fit a Kit Kat inside it.

Gweilo

If you buy "Legit" stuff you will not have these problems.
    Genuine games and consoles are pretty cheap in HK compared to most European countries and the US.

Its good to see MS and Sony releasing patches on their new consoles that disable/brick modded machines.

With the price of the PS2 being in the very reasonable range what is the price range of games and where is the best place to buy these?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    If you buy "Legit" stuff you will not have these problems.
    Genuine games and consoles are pretty cheap in HK compared to most European countries and the US.

Its good to see MS and Sony releasing patches on their new consoles that disable/brick modded machines.
    I can't say for sure, but I am pretty sure if I just had problems getting the disk in right that has nothing to do with modding or not.

Same with gweilo's case, if you shove a kit kat in to the laser it really doesn't matter if it is moded or not. It is going to cause damage. Not sure if warranty would normally cover a kit kat shoved in the machine anyways.

Not sure what problems you are referring to. I see no drawbacks to copy games except the odd time I have seen machines read that it is fake and you need to restart. But, of course that is something that slows you down for 3 seconds every now and then.

Furthermore; most machines are sold pre moded in HK. I suspect you may even end up having to go to a shop that sells them more expensive to have no chip. (IE Toys R us instead of Golden)