Wii - what have you smashed up in your home?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Could some one please clear my confusion?

What about all the different versions? As far as I can see there are the Japan ones, and the US ones. Will there be any HK ones?

So what's the difference between them? Will I be able to just go and buy any game and it will be working fine, or will I have to go find games match the region of the my Wii?

Also, how about the Virtual Console? That must surely be different between the different regions, right?

Could some one please answer my questions? I am so so so keen on buying one of these. Seems to be tons of fun!

Wii - what does it stand for?

Smile Wii

Here's the name info that was released by GameSpot in the US in April:

The site goes on to say that Wii should be easy to remember for people around the world, no matter their language, and that it will avoid abbreviation. The "ii" spelling is intended to represent "both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play." It may also be worth noting that "ii" means "good" in Japanese.

Nintendo sums up the name change with the following comments. "So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

Game-industry analysts were swift with their responses. "Looks like a good solid name for Nintendo," said an optimistic Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director of Jupiter Research. "The key is making sure they follow up with a strong launch campaign to evangelize the new brand and help drive the message forward."

By Staff, GameSpot
    Posted Apr 27, 2006 9:14 am PT

The name seems like BS until you play on the unit with or against a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by CookiemonsterII:
    What about all the different versions? As far as I can see there are the Japan ones, and the US ones. Will there be any HK ones?

So what's the difference between them? Will I be able to just go and buy any game and it will be working fine, or will I have to go find games match the region of the my Wii?

Also, how about the Virtual Console? That must surely be different between the different regions, right?

Could some one please answer my questions? I am so so so keen on buying one of these. Seems to be tons of fun!
    The Wii is regionlocked. A Japanese machine only has menus in Japanese, will only play Japanese games, and will only let you download from the Japanese Virtual Console store...

In the past week or two, at least three modchips for the Wii have been announced. While they are focusing on letting people play games from 'backups', homebrew and so forth, at least one of them claims to allow all NTSC games to be played on all NTSC machines. These chips are new, aren't really on the streets yet, may be legally dodgy, may be 'broken' by hardware or firmware updates from Nintendo - and to be honest, may not work very well.

I'm waiting to hear from a guy I know in Thailand who's an expert on these things, but I'm hoping that in a few weeks/months we'll be able to get out of the regionlock problem, making a cheap Japanese machine more useful to those of us who don't speak or read Japanese...

A US Wii should be around 3,000 to 3,500 HKD
    As mentioned only US games will work; which are readily available in the usual shops for around 350 to 400 HKD each.

The Virtual Console is also US only, Wii points cards can be bought online. The regular shops seem only to stock Japanese wii points cards.

anyone "region-freed" their wii yet? I am sick of guessing at japanese characters...

Also note that the USA games are more expensive also.

As far as I hear there are several mod chips out already.

Google it...

Last edited by hk.com; 06-02-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Is 350-400 HKD for a US game that much more expensive then the Japanese ones? I saw Zelda both US and Japan versions retail for about the same price. (around 380 HKD)

you should be able to get the Japanese version for HK$320. The difference tends to be HK$60- HK$80