3D TV: will I get to watch much of 3D telly in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3D TV: will I get to watch much of 3D telly in HK?

Moving to HK in Jan and am thinking of buying a 50" 3D HD TV to be shipped over...

But will I get to watch much 3D Telly to use this function in HK?

Or shall I save my money and just get abnormal one instead?

Probably better to buy a Tv when you are in hk

Mmmmm, pearl in 3d

Last edited by dumbdonkey; 06-12-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Like there is 3D anywhere else. There is barely any HDTV in HK to start concerning about 3D.

Avatar 3D BD discs are currently selling for about US$400:

Avatar on 3D Blu-ray: Only $400 (Not Including TV)! - PCWorld

3D TV's are cheaper in the US, they're about double the price in Bangkok and even more expensive in HK. Shipping a TV around the globe isn't usually a good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Like there is 3D anywhere else. There is barely any HDTV in HK to start concerning about 3D.

Avatar 3D BD discs are currently selling for about US$400:

Avatar on 3D Blu-ray: Only $400 (Not Including TV)! - PCWorld

3D TV's are cheaper in the US, they're about double the price in Bangkok and even more expensive in HK. Shipping a TV around the globe isn't usually a good idea though.
    Mr Moo, can you let me know why it's not a good idea to ship the TV over please? I am a girl and not sure if you have a technical reason for not doing so? We have a container coming over, so thought it might be a good idea as my brother has told me that it's a bit cheaper to get it from the UK! (which I was surprised to find out)... Thanks!

Also, will a 3D TV be useful? Are there TV channels showing in 3D?

We are thinking of going I-cable so that we get all of the UK football matches

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfu chef:
    Mr Moo, can you let me know why it's not a good idea to ship the TV over please? I am a girl and not sure if you have a technical reason for not doing so? We have a container coming over, so thought it might be a good idea as my brother has told me that it's a bit cheaper to get it from the UK! (which I was surprised to find out)... Thanks!
    Nothing technical, a TV is a big expensive delicate device. It is easy to break and if imported from another country, difficult to get repaired locally.

Usually shipping is not free either, and minimizing how much you send is often considered a good idea.

3D channels are scheduled to appear in the US as of this month, it looks like a rotating schedule of a few films and not much else. That probably gives 4-5 years for HK to catch up.

DIRECTV: Press Release: DIRECTV Offers The Ultimate 3D Lineup

You will be lucky if you get the football matches in HD. Forget about 3D.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Technically, will the TV fit in your Hong Kong accommodation?

Technically, will the TV still work absolutely fine in 2D because there are no 3D programmes broadcast in Hong Kong?

Technically, will a guy called Kevin from your local moving company pack the 3D TV well enough for it to endure weeks inside a shipping container crossing turbulent seas?

Technically, can you get a worldwide guarantee for a 3D TV purchased in the UK?

3D TV is only good for PC gaming or maybe Playstation 3 gaming. These are the only do devices that actually have a decent solution of 3D content due to the nature of the content.

Quote Originally Posted by truemandate:
    3D TV is only good for PC gaming or maybe Playstation 3 gaming. These are the only do devices that actually have a decent solution of 3D content due to the nature of the content.

Not for Playstation gaming as there is very little 3D content and a lot of the upcoming games for 2011 don't look that great in 3D. It will take them a year or 2 to come up with decent 3D stuff.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast