Boxed Set DVDS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boxed Set DVDS

Hi All,

Does anyone know where to get boxed set dvds like how i met your mother, supernatural, desperate housewives etc?

I know HMV has them but those are too expensive, i was thinking more of those china copies.

I remember seeing them around, all boxed up and everything. Anyone know of any place in HK that still sells them?

i believe vitually all of the pirated dvd (hk most does lower quality home computer ones, not factory quality one in china) in wan chai, sham shui po and mong kok have been clamped down.

shenzhen (dongmen area) still have alot of them though (best not to buy too many at once as you have to go past customs)

other than that yahoo auction has some reasonable priced dvds - second hand

Its $2K a DVD if caught and a court appearance. They even bust non chinese these days as a guy I know got busted with 8-10 discs last week (HK Border).

There are a couple of shops around Yau Ma Tei that still sell em and they are usually stuck in the back of the store. Your best bet would be to Download and burn em.

Last edited by JaredHK; 28-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    ...as a guy I know got busted with 8-10 discs last week (HK Border).
    Do you know how he got caught exactly? I've been thru HK customs hundreds of times over the past decade and a half, and I've never been searched yet. Was this a random search?

HC

I think it was random and he says they also got a bunch of stewardesses( from some American airline) with a lot fake handbags earlier that day.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    ... clamped down.
    It's a combination of clamping down and lack of demand. If someone wants an illegal version they'll most likely just download or stream it themselves rather than buy it from a pirate nowadays.

Bit Torrent....

I managed to get all Star Trek TV series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT) and just finished DLing Seinfeld (all seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I've been thru HK customs hundreds of times over the past decade and a half, and I've never been searched yet. Was this a random search?
    A few years ago, friends (and I) used to do the same, cross the border with handfuls of discs of whole seasons of TV series for around RMB90 a show - never been stopped and searched. Luckily. These days, most series are easily down-loadable.

We occasionally used to get similar stuff (but worse pic quality) from shops in Mong Kok (e.g. Sino Centre), Tsuen Wan and Kwun Tong, where you pick the DVD disc sleeve off the display shelf or quote attached number, pay up in cash, get a wee ticket, and hang around/return in 15 to 30 mins for the item. But yeah, much less of this happening... now that most are b-torrenting.

I see no point taking risks by carrying Pirated material across the border. I download all my shows and its pretty fast.. It takes under a minute for a single show and 10-15 mins for a entire season.

Opinions aside... Didn't have time the other day to add info as to where you can get boxed set DVDs of popular TV series - they're originals but at lower prices than HMV, etc - take a look inside a DVD/Blu-ray shop that calls itself æ­£ ('Jing'), which means 'authentic' or 'original' (at/around no.32 Mong Kok Rd, off Fa Yuen St; open till 12midnight).

Not too long ago, saw Desperate Housewives, Supernatural (super series!), CSI, Bones, Criminal Minds, House, Gray's Anatomy, Nip/Tuck, Gossip Girl, Modern Family, Fringe, so on, on their shelves near the cashier's. They don't have many new/latest series, unfortunately, so maybe search online and download 'em.

Also look into a DVD/electronic chainstore called Cheapy. In Mong Kok, there's one around no.1 Sai Yeung Choi St South, near Dundas St end.

Last edited by emmie; 01-02-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: wobblies...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast