Like Tree8Likes

Hardcore gaming PC

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hardcore gaming PC

Hey Guys, I am planning on buying a new computer. I have been living in HK for a very long time and know almost all places for PCs and all. However, I havent had much experience with purchasing a custom build computer. I know there are plenty of places in SSP and MK, and they all look legit and well priced...but do any of you know of a store that employs well articulated technicians, "for gamers built by gamers" type of philosophy...you know, with proper wiring placement, tidy interior, noise level and ventilation.

PLease dont suggest that I build it myself...I rather pay a professional

I take it that you have looked at Dell's Alienware line of gaming rigs. How was that for you?

@Laser
    Contact Bruce Choi at Jumbo in Mongkok. Alienware is a rip off.

Laserbrain and JohanSWE like this.

Second to alienware being a rip-off -- unless you consciously want to spend extra money on the brand.

Centralfield shop at the far end of a corridor in Golden Computer Arcade 2/f when entering from Kweilin St. (ssp mtr exit D2). There's a guy called Celine who fixed me a gaming PC last year - he understood the requirements really well. I took along a rough list of specs, got quotes from nearby shops and finally asked Celine to match the others' best offer.

Laserbrain likes this.

I agree that Alienware is a rip-off, but the OP said he'd pay!

Cheers guys...I will look into both those contact. @Jared, are you a PC gamer?

There was one in Wangum but it closed after 6 months or so. You can't exactly go too wrong as long as you pick a decent video card and build around that.

And yes DIY in HK is retarded unless you really like wasting your time and saving a few pennies. The guys in the stores are very cheap and more importantly can test your kit to make sure it all works.

I've found them to be very good knowledge wise, as in whether smaller boxes (Shuttle XPCs) can support certain video cards, etc. The biggest problem is that you cannot really get the latest products in HK, either you wait and pay more for a local company to import from California or you do it yourself. Then you have to ask if you really want the latest US$2,000+ quad SLI card or whatever insane products presently lead the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbrain:
    Cheers guys...I will look into both those contact. @Jared, are you a PC gamer?

The ONLY game I ever played on a PC is Battlefield 2. I plan to get a new rig in time for Battlefield 3

I prefer consoles.

before you guys start ripping at Alienware/Dell, think of the good and bad..

Bad: Cost obviously..

Good: if anything breaks, you don't have to do any troubleshooting, call them and they'll be at your door in 24 hours (if they have the parts) and fix it for you... Less hassle and if you think the extra 30% premium you pay just for the sake of ease of mind and warranty, then go for it is my $0.02

Their Alienware Tower Cases are dang sexy tho.... now....

I own a Alienware M11x (netbook on steroids) and the hinge on it broke after 6 months, they came and replaced my entire monitor cover the next business day.. +1 for that

If you want to build your own, it's probably the best way to go if you want to maximize air flow, cable neatness, you can add your own mods, etc, etc.. I got a HAF X, GTX 580 and i7, added with 3x 7200 drives, 2x 10K RPM velociraptors and a SSD Boot Drive, with the see thru side panel and 2x thermaltake blue LED, I stare at my box more than I stare at my GF, don't tell her I said that...

The Bad: if it breaks or acts funny one day, be it BSOD or my favorite frag game just don't work right, I have to troubleshoot it myself, find the part in question and bring it to the distributor myself.. all this: /time consuming...

Ive seen a shop on top floor of Wan Chai computer center, I don't remember name but you cant miss it, he has a bunch of liquid cooled rigs running and displayed in the window.. He does "enthusiast" rigs based on what you want, I am not sure of price..

Laserbrain and Dreadnought like this.

The guy on the top floor of Wanchai CC closed down. I went looking for him the other week to build my new rig but his space was empty and hasn't been rerented yet. I found another place on that floor that built me an amazing rig for a lot less than an Alienware machine. It took me a while to decide what I wanted and I went back and forth with these guys for a couple days- when I nailed the requirements they built the thing in a couple hours and delivered it to my house. I have a HAF 922, i7 990x, 24 GB RAM, dual GTX 580s, SS Boot, Liquid Cooled. I haven't got around to overclocking it yet but it is a total beast. Alienware doesn't make anything close to this high performance and mine was a lot cheaper. I'd recommend these guys. If you want to see them let me know and I'll give you an email address- there's no real signage at this place and I couldn't really describe how you would find it in that maze of shops.

Btw, I posted another thread in the Home Entertainment section. I'm having trouble with Windows Media Center- has anyone got NOW cable working with MCE?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast