Like Tree2Likes

Nintendo 3DS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    Don't know what exactly you mean but both the Japanese and US versions have been out since last February, and widely available in HK since then.

On a related note I have one myself: what a fantastic gaming system!
    huh? its been available since February? how come ive never seen it in Hong Kong? where did you buy it in HK?

That's probably because nobody actually wants one (according to industry insiders it's "a huge failure").

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    That's probably because nobody actually wants one (according to industry insiders it's "a huge failure").
    "Nobody actually wants one" is actually a laughable statement, as it's all relative to the hugely successful DS. If you'd read other articles the only real problem for the 3ds is the lack of good software in its initial months. The bigger titles that are out now like SF4 and Zelda have sold more than 1 million copies already (Zelda in under 2 months time), not bad for a system as you put it "nobody wants". This is actually much better then the PSP did in its initial phase, by comparison. By this year's end the new Mario title and Mario Kart will also be out, which is pretty great for a first year console! However I don't think will be able to bank on casual games which were such a commercial success for them as non-gaming people actually play smaller games on tablets and smartphones, although the usual first party Nintendo titles will still make it shine.

I have personally put in close to 200 hours already with mine on Zelda, Starfox and SF4 alone, and it 's easily my favorite handheld. The 3D effect really adds to games in a way that 3D movies cannot IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by cheviefrancisco
    huh? its been available since February? how come ive never seen it in Hong Kong? where did you buy it in HK?
    I don't know where you've been looking but its literally everywhere: Try everywhere in HK where they sell games: Sham Shui Po, Mong Kok Sino Centre, Wanchai 188 shopping centre,.....
    Last edited by Gatts; 08-08-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    cheviefrancisco likes this.

bdw

ToysRUs sell the 3DS.

cheviefrancisco likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    "Nobody actually wants one" is actually a laughable statement, as it's all relative to the hugely successful DS. If you'd read other articles the only real problem for the 3ds is the lack of good software in its initial months. The bigger titles that are out now like SF4 and Zelda have sold more than 1 million copies already (Zelda in under 2 months time), not bad for a system as you put it "nobody wants". This is actually much better then the PSP did in its initial phase, by comparison. By this year's end the new Mario title and Mario Kart will also be out, which is pretty great for a first year console! However I don't think will be able to bank on casual games which were such a commercial success for them as non-gaming people actually play smaller games on tablets and smartphones, although the usual first party Nintendo titles will still make it shine.

I have personally put in close to 200 hours already with mine on Zelda, Starfox and SF4 alone, and it 's easily my favorite handheld. The 3D effect really adds to games in a way that 3D movies cannot IMHO.
    nintendo has issued a price cut for the 3ds which indicates poor sales within 6 months, note that the ds and dsl and dsl/dsxl has never had a price cut, dsi had a price last year - 2.5years after release, not 6 months thus nintendo is worried.

note that 3ds was released in the us/europe 2 months after japanese release indicating they have overstocked surplus/sale lowers than predicted within it's domestic market, while in the past, they had to stagger/delay release ( esp in europe) due overdemand of their previous generation

note that the target market - causal/non traditional gamer (females, kids and elderly/middge age) seems to be not interested in the 3ds as they cater for more than 70% of sale during the ds era, they seem also can not really differentiate/don't seem bothered with this current generation, i doubt that 3d ver of nintendogs/how to smile sim will improve this sitution, however, 3d pokemon will improve sales and demand

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    note that the target market - causal/non traditional gamer (females, kids and elderly/middge age)
    I agree with everything you said, except this. The DS/3DS doesnt have these people as a "target market" but as one segment of their target market. Aside from a few titles Nintendo has actually not many casual titles in development this time. If you look at their release schedule it's quite clear they gave up on competing with the casual market as the smartphone/tablet casual segment took that over. As a result it's actually pretty good news as now more development teams can focus on their hardcore games they do so well like Zelda/Mario... While they won't be able to catch the casual success, they still can score well on quality titles and it seems they are really going for that.

Mario Kart will also probably be a big system seller come Christmas.

3DS price cut by almost a third as Nintendo reports loss | Technology | guardian.co.uk

on the other hand, a severe price cut may increase sales and allow decent number of user base before the ps vita (psp2) is introduced in autumn 2011, if they can reach sizable 10 mil ( currently 4.3mil according to wiki) then they will have a sizable user base by the time ps vita has been released.

first adopters may feel a like a slap in the face now that it's cheaper by almost a third, at least microsoft gave free games and a joypad ( to early adopters) when they did a price cut for the original xbox by almost 100 quid ( US$150) way back in 2001

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    first adopters may feel a like a slap in the face now that it's cheaper by almost a third, at least microsoft gave free games and a joypad ( to early adopters) when they did a price cut for the original xbox by almost 100 quid ( US$150) way back in 2001
    Nintendo gives 20 downloadable free games:
    Nintendo Gives Free Game Boy Advance and NES Games to Early 3DS Adopters

also note zelda/mario is really for not hardcore gamers, ask the non traditional/casual gamers if they can name the titles of the top of their heads.

however, animal crossing, metroid and pikmin are, but these titles would not be named by the non traditional/casual gamers (ask a hundred females, kids (presume under 12's) and elderly/middge age), i bet you none of them can names these titles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast