Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoob

US bought turntable playing at the wrong speed

US bought turntable playing at the wrong speed

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I moved back to HK after living in NY for 12 years, and brought along my Rega P1 turntable. Last night, I hooked it up with a step down transformer and played a normal 33rpm record. But it sounded like it was slightly slower. At first I thought the transformer was defected. Later I read from the internet that the AC frequency actually determines the speed of the motor. It's 60hz in the US but 50hz here in HK. So there appear to me several solutions:

1. Replace the pulley with a larger one to compensate the difference.
    2. Replace the motor with an original one made for European/HK market.
    3. Buy an AC frequency convertor.

My questions are:

1. Where is Rega's service center, if there's one?
    2. Where can I get Rega parts here, if the answer to #1 is a No?
    3. Will the AC frequency convertor actually solve the problem? And how much does one usually cost?

Thanks!

-kaho

apparently no rega distributors in HK, more than likely expensive to get original parts and modify your 110v turntable.

would you consider a new one?

I believe pro-ject debut iii is on par with rega, both are british made and rivals (pro-ject has a hk distributor)

I guess I would consider buying a new one, if there's definitely no other option. Just don't want to see it becoming a huge paper weight...

Quote Originally Posted by yukaho:
    Just don't want to see it becoming a huge paper weight...
    Can't imagine a "Gramophone" becoming obsolete!
    jimbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yukaho:
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I moved back to HK after living in NY for 12 years, and brought along my Rega P1 turntable. Last night, I hooked it up with a step down transformer and played a normal 33rpm record. But it sounded like it was slightly slower. At first I thought the transformer was defected. Later I read from the internet that the AC frequency actually determines the speed of the motor. It's 60hz in the US but 50hz here in HK. So there appear to me several solutions:

1. Replace the pulley with a larger one to compensate the difference.
    2. Replace the motor with an original one made for European/HK market.
    3. Buy an AC frequency convertor.

My questions are:

1. Where is Rega's service center, if there's one?
    2. Where can I get Rega parts here, if the answer to #1 is a No?
    3. Will the AC frequency convertor actually solve the problem? And how much does one usually cost?

Thanks!

-kaho
    I think the best option would be to replace the pulley, a frequency convertor would, IMHO, need to be good quality (i.e. expensive) to suit your application.

Cheap converters will likely have a low quality AC output (e.g. harmonic distortion, poor frequency stability) which would probably affect the audio quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    I think the best option would be to replace the pulley, a frequency convertor would, IMHO, need to be good quality (i.e. expensive) to suit your application.

Cheap converters will likely have a low quality AC output (e.g. harmonic distortion, poor frequency stability) which would probably affect the audio quality.
    but would it worth it for a 300 quid british made turntable, just getting the parts and installation will be close to the purchase price of a new one.

may be it better, if you cut your losses, ask a friend to take it back to US, sell on craiglist or ebay for a few hundred dollars, and buy a replacement here, i believe pro-ject debut is close enough, if you want a cheap option (won't be as good though, but not bad, great value for money, richlin of wan chai (official distributors of sherwood) sells a pm9805 player for aroudn HK$1300 (400 off list price)

hey all, thanks for your suggestions! luckily, i managed to find a shop that sells a rega motor upgrade kit. $980 including labour. this will completely solve my problem.

fyi, the shop is A&M Promotions. doesn't sound even remotely related to audio equipments, but they seem to be a rega distributor. the site is in chinese though.
    Untitled Document