Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kogia
  • 1 Post By HowardCoombs

Windows Media Player Playing Multi Track Audio avi

Closed Thread

Windows Media Player Playing Multi Track Audio avi

I've just downloaded the entire Red Dwarf series in avi format, for legal worriers, I have the entire box set on DVD and can provide it as evidence if required, I know this may not remove any legal guilt, but surely we can avoid the moralising as I have paid for the set in the past. I just thought that downloading would be easier than copying them myself.

However when I play most of them, it plays all the audio tracks at the same time (multiple commentries and such). I use WMP most up to date version as my default movie player, is there a way for me to switch which audio tracks it plays?

I'd rather not have to download yet another player.

luckycat likes this.

I know, you'd rather not, but please download just one final player and you can throw all the rest in the bin:
    VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

It will play practically everything out there, it will stream practically everything, easy to use and a breeze to customize. WMP will have you pulling your hair out, I would urge you to reconsider.

Rob2020 likes this.

lol, I knew the replies would be along these lines, thanks though I will check it out and consider it.

I don't have any great love or loyalty to WMP, I just built a new PC at the beginning of the year and am still being a touch OCD trying to prevent it ending up like they always seem to, with multiple media players and such clogging up and confusing.

I'm a give me one thing that does it all kind of person.

Quote Originally Posted by kogia:
    I'm a give me one thing that does it all kind of person.
    And that one thing is VLC (seriously).

You can ditch every media player (video and audio) as well as streaming players because VLC will do it all. Every format.

Its small, lightweight and it just works.

You don't need multiple players, as HC says, you just need VLC. It's free, plays any format/codec you throw at it, has simple drop-down menus to select audio/video/subtitles tracks etc.

The only thing it isn't very good at is displaying & organising your collection in a visually appealing way so use WMP for that (if you like WMP) and VLC to play any files that WMP can't handle and you're sorted.

Consider me persuaded, i will check it out and give it a try. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by kogia:
    Consider me persuaded, i will check it out and give it a try. Thanks to all.
    Yay!
    One more convert

Do you find that when playing mkv files on your pc with Vlan it is very stuttery? avi plays ok though.

Kogia, I salute both your pre-emption about illegal downloads and more so your choice in download. Great tv programme. I just loved it. I never did see the new ones from, humm, when was it, last year? 2009 maybe? Did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    Do you find that when playing mkv files on your pc with Vlan it is very stuttery? avi plays ok though.
    mkv files on my laptop is stuttery.
    mkv files on my souped up desktop and my dedicated tv-pc is perfect.

mkv files seem to need and want a lot of CPU.