PS3, Wii or XBOX 360?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PS3, Wii or XBOX 360?

We're thinking (well, my partner is thinking, I think it's ridiculous) of getting one of these for our son's birthday, but we don't know which one to get, they all seem the same (aside from the price! ouch!)... Does one have better games than the other? Etc etc.
    What would you guys recommend?
    Also, should we buy in HK or Europe (are these multisystem machines, will games bought in Europe and USA work on HK machines and vice versa?)
    Thanks for the help.

How old is your son?

Our five year old got an XBOX from one of our friends and enjoyed it, but it was very addictive, specially since we got a disney CARS game. (The XBOX was quickly dismantled with the excuse that its broken and needs to be sent to Japan for repairs.. that was several months ago)

He got to play on one of our friends WII and enjoyed the bowling and tennis games... atleast it got him running around for a bit. However, I can imagine that controller flying around our living room breaking whatever little we have of value.

The Wii can be great fun for children. I have found that six year-olds have good control and that combined with the hand strap keep the remotes from destroying my replaceable furniture. There are more children oriented games for the Wii than the other two platforms. Before the Wii the Game Cube was king for childrens' games - also a Nintendo product. Then there are the various versions of GameBoy. Personally, I would go for a Playstation 2 - stable, cheap and plenty of games. The ps3's price can't be justified and the Xbox360 is built to breakdown.

He's ten. Thanks for the tips, they're very helpful. I just watched an old Panorama last night called "Is TV bad for your kids" and it's put me off buying one of those, so we'll see.

What about getting him a DS Lite or a PSP?

I'd recommend the following order

NDS > Wii > PSP > Xbox 360 > PS3.

The NDS can be used everywhere and isn't as violent as PSP and other games. The Wii promotes multiple people playing for the whole family: get Wii Sports, Wario ware, Mario Party, Super monkey puzzle, etc. The PSP games aren't that great, or just very difficult for normal people, but cheaper glam factor than the Xbox/PS3. The Xbox 360 has simply been available the longest and hence has the most games, but has hardware issues according to the news which might mean repairs. The PS3 is huge, expensive, and limited games, with a controller worse than PS2, but the games do really look pretty, and they might be releasing a new controller soon.

PS3 is heavily discounted in stores in HK to presumably Sony trying to stop Japan imports, the Wii is generally available in computer markets because there are only US or Japan versions.

The PS3 really isn't selling, especially in the computer markets. Even though there is a Gundam game - which is very popular here. But there must be someone buying it, you should ask what your sons friends have, maybe they like the games that are available.

Last edited by MrMoo; 17-07-2007 at 11:52 AM.

anyone know what current cost for PS3 is in HK? which version of PS3 is that btw?

Get a Wii

I have been lucky enough to have owned all 3 systems at one time or another. If I were to go back in time and could only be allowed to ever own 1 system, then I would buy the Wii.

The games are funner, healthier to play because of the excercise, but mainly for global market reasons.

Nintendo has the market share, and SCE (playstation) will be in financial trouble very soon. There are even rumors of a possible Nintendo buying SCE in a couple years. That would make a japanese gaming superpower under the name nintendo.

The Wii has more games, and more choice of appropriate games for kids. The decision to me is now clear after trying the 3 systems. The Wii was always the way to go.

As a longtime gamer myself i'd strongly suggest you get him an xbox360. (i own all 3 consoles by the way)

Although parents will be inclined to buy their kids the Wii, your son will probably prefer an xbox360 so he can play against his friends on xbox Live. It's the coolest console for his age group

The Wii is really the obvious safe choice here as the games are more "kid friendly", but in terms of fun and longevity the xbox360 is the way to go. But only if you don't mind as a parent that your son can play "bloody" games like Gears of Wars 2 and Halo. With this console he will have heaps and heaps of fun, but with the Wii you will probably be more assured. The Wii is the safe but boring option. The xbox360 will make you the cool dad/mom.

Keep in mind that the games on xbox360 are region blocked, so if you take this one you'd better get it in your home country. Pricewise the xbox360 Arcade is at the same level (or a bit cheaper?) then the Wii. You also get more bang for buck on the 360.

Last edited by FilipH; 11-02-2009 at 09:52 AM.

I think a year and a half later, the OP must have made the decision already.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast