Like Tree5Likes

Now TV, Sales Reps, Scams and Contracts

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Now TV, Sales Reps, Scams and Contracts

Now TV rang me up to inform me that I needed to renew my contract.

Well, they didn't ring me up, they rang my wife up, how they got her number is a whole different story.

Anyway, their Rep rings up at 10 pm at night, during dinner, asks if I want to renew on the same terms as before?

I state 'yes' and that was that.

Now my original contract was for 12 months and I have received an email stating that I've agreed and been signed up for 24 months.

I've questioned this and they have told me 'since the propose package was accepted by register with provided register full name and Hong Kong ID card number for our verification, therefore, we are sorry to inform that we are unable to change other package, please accept my sincerely apologies in this matter.'

Now the sales rep clearly asked me if I wanted to 'renew on the same terms?' Surely, this would mean that they will extend me for another 12 months and not 24?

Seems they are not going to budge on this.

Anyone else had similar situations with Now-TV which they resolved?

do you plan to leave before the 24 months is up?

They played the same trick on us, pretty much exactly the same scenario as the original poster. I went in to the service centre and made a scene. It took a while but they cancelled the subscription.

I also heard a recent story about a major chain onfitness centres in Hong Kong. They used a hard sell tactic on a young man with learning difficulities, aquired his bank details and set up a 24 month memberhsip. He couldn't even use a gym so it was totally useless. His carer went into the central location to resolve the issue and they would not back down and continued to take payments...

I didn't get any call when my contract was up, it seems it was renewed automatically. In fact I have no idea for how long, but they keep on billing the same amount each month.

Welcome to Hong Kong, the worlds freest economy (TM).

dear giant likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I've done this, being on the offensive. The supervisor is very apologetic and actually does a good job in following up and resolving the issue. I admit in my initial rant I do mention along the lines that NOW TV/Broadband is probably the worst company I'd ever dealt with in HK!

When my Now contract expired around 6 months ago, I didnt get a call. I got a letter that said if I did nothing I would automatically continue to receive the same channels, but on a month by month basis for a higher price. I had the option to call them and renew a 12 or 24 month contract, which I did. I wonder why my experience is different from others?

Jong007 likes this.

After Christamas I will have to renew both Cable TV and Now TV - is there any good offers or discounts i can get on renewals? BTW i have the full sports pack on NOW and BPL HD pack on CATV

Here's one I heard.

NowTV sales rep came to the apartment, promised a 24 month contract and the modem was said to be theirs after that 24 month period and they don't have to pay for the service anymore.

26 months into it, the owner saw transaction in the bank paying certain amount every month (forgot the amount). Owner dialed and asked what's going on and NowTV mentioned that it was for renting the modem!

NowTV completely backed out of the initial deal where they promised the modem become the owner after 24 months. They also mentioned if it wasn't returned, they'll charge $1000 for that modem.

Here's the problem. They may have had a contract, but after 2 years, the owner couldn't retrieve the contract back because he doesn't remember where he put them.

Even worse, even if the owner had the contract, NowTV could easily have just said "oh we made a mistake" and then that's it. No punishment in any form whatsoever.
    They can intimidate 1000 customers and somehow find people who doesn't have the modem anymore (since it was claimed to be free and they may have thrown it away) and charge them an extra $1000.

And then that'd be okay.

Last edited by Creative83; 01-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Hi,

welcome to Hong Kong, not the home of consumer protection.

Enjoy your stay

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast