Like Tree11Likes

HMV....sigh!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    PDLM, my gf is german (half english actually), so I am pretty sure she'd get the cultural context, and all the more reason why I am keen on she getting the words as well.

Skyhook, I did try that, but no luck there.
    I don't think you need to worry too much about her not understanding everything down to a T. I'm a native German speaker and when I met Mr Elle 11 years ago I was reluctant to see a Shakespeare play with him, being afraid I won't understand everything. I was fine... Once your gf is getting more and more exposed to those series she will definitely get it - maybe not the first time around. Believe it or not, Germans do have a sense of humour (I know we are not supposed to...) and it's quite a bit like the English one ( We DO get the major in Fawlty Towers and we Do laugh about the German episode - even though the spoken German there really sucks it it gets kind of 'over-quoted' by PDLM here ). Frankly speaking I'd hate subtitles. If your gf is a keen reader give her some Ben Elton, then follow up with Tom Sharpe (this is what Mr Elle did with me)
    Last edited by elle; 21-11-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    gunsnroses likes this.

We had similar problems with the Kill Bill trilogy.

You don't realise how much Japanese is in those films until you don't have ANY subs!

A total shambles!

Stick it up your jacksie, HMV!

Stoob, then what's the point of buying the dvds, I can simply download the videos from torrent and synch the subs, right?
    Don't shoot the messenger dood!

I have seen Friends on a dvd at a friend's place (lol),
    That must have been really funny
    dear giant and gunsnroses like this.

Elle, thanks a lot for your encouraging words, I'll look up the recommended books too
    Sorry stoob, didn't mean to offend you.