Like Tree11Likes

Mac Mini Alternatives?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I use a Zotac ID44, can pick them up in most of the computer markets. Stick some RAM and a HDD in and you're done. Hardware acceleration for 1080p playback, silent, and less than half the price of a mac mini.

Quote Originally Posted by LoughtonLion:
    Thanks for all the replies. If I bought a Mac Mini and added a DVD drive, would I be able to play DVDs from different regions or is there software that can?
    all mac drives are region locked ( changes region only 5 times), not great if you have region 2 (uk) and region 1 (us, jap) and your mini mac ( and every other macs) only really handles region 3 after a few plays, which defeats the point of using a mini mac as htpc unless you going to use it for downloads and streams.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    I use a Zotac ID44, can pick them up in most of the computer markets. Stick some RAM and a HDD in and you're done. Hardware acceleration for 1080p playback, silent, and less than half the price of a mac mini.
    Does it come with an OS?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    all mac drives are region locked ( changes region only 5 times), not great if you have region 2 (uk) and region 1 (us, jap) and your mini mac ( and every other macs) only really handles region 3 after a few plays, which defeats the point of using a mini mac as htpc unless you going to use it for downloads and streams.
    Could you rip the DVD and then play it using VLC or some other playback software that ignores the region settings?

I dont think you need to rip it at all. i forget since i find DVD's ancient technology used by cavemen, but when i used it as a little boy it was insert DVD, click ignore disk when Apple pops up warning about region, and then start up VLC.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    Just noticed the e35 doesn't have hdmi 1.4 and can't see any listings for e45 in HK. Fail :/
    You definitely need a graphics card if you are building a HTPC. 1080 runs better with it and reduce the load of your CPU

Pin, I would go with a small SSD for windows because at the current HDD prices, its beginning to make sense to run the OS and apps on a SSD and store all media on a networked HDD.

The Zotac way mention is not bad. Saves you lots of pain from building from scratch

Really, from my reading online most ppl said that board shouldn't have a problem with 1080p. The main reasoning behind that board is the extra space to fit it in a small case, the fact that it is passive and that you get mobo, graphics, audio and cooling for $1500.

If you have any suggestions for a mobo, cpu and cooling, and graphics solution that is very quiet and around the same price that would be greatly appreciated. Has been years since I built a pc so I am not as clued in with what is available these days. I am guessing there would be a few heating + fan combos around that are wider to reduce noise.

Last edited by methosb; 17-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Sorry didn't know that board came with GPU and all. I actually meant that you need a GPU otherwise the CPU will have excessive load to run 1080. Wouldn't you consider the Zotac or something similar Barebone PC 準系統 - 其他電腦產品 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk then you don't need to worry about the casing.

I am considering the Zotac and Asrock ones but there doesn't seem to be many of the models available. Those that are available are either old models or cost too much. The Zotac Giga interests me but doesn't seem to be out yet and with 4 fans in it we are yet to see how much noise it makes. The newer Asrock CoreHT doesn't seem to be available.

Will look around for barebones that have or can fit a BD drive and do some more research on other custom HTPC builds I spose.

OK, I'm considering getting something along these lines also. I have an old Shuttle PC that seems to be on it's last legs and may need to be replaced. I'll be taking it down for repair again but it's been a bit of a dog always so I might just give up with it.

However my living room pc is not just for movies (although that's the main thing), I also use it for gaming and music. The sound runs through my hi-fi system so I'd need decent video and sound cards.

I like the idea of something using flash drive for fast boot up and there is no need for storage on the pc as files are stored on a networked NAS, I just need memory to run the operating systems and programs. But can a flash drive system cope with gaming?