Like Tree13Likes

netflix set up?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

i'll see if he has time/can remember what he did... he's been working on it for weeks! it was a great surprise! i truly had no idea what he was up to!

JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Can you get your dad to write up a simple config/setup guide for us Geo people if its no trouble. I am sure quite a few of us might find it useful.

Thanks
    Its really not that hard but you have to go through it yourself to see that its not that difficult. To get Netflix ($$) or Hulu (free) working on a computer, iPad or iPhone, you do not need a wireless router...what you need is a VPN service (PPTP or LPTP) which you can get from a number of providers (I use StrongVPN) for HK$500-1000/year depending on what options you want (ie ability to change servers --> change geographic location). With this VPN, before you launch the service, you must turn it on. Because this VPN is turned on manually, it is available wherever you are...so on my iPhone, I can access Netflix and Hulu+ while on the shuttle/bus to work

But if you want to view Netflix ($$) or Hulu Plus ($$) on your TV and you don't want to attach a computer to it, you have to use a Roku or AppleTV or Boxee (depending on which service you want to use..ie AppleTV does not support Hulu Plus), and you have to use a wireless router like Carang is doing. You have to use a router to broadcast the VPN because these devices have no way of turning on a VPN, so the VPN has to be on all of the time. This is done by using an Open VPN and you program the router to to have it on all of the time. I also use StrongVPN for my Open VPN. In our apartment, anybody who visits can connect to either one of our two WiFi networks...one has a HK location and the other San Francisco...so with a wireless router, even an iPad or iPhone or computer does not need an PPTP or LPTP VPN.

It sound more complicated than it is. If you subscribe for a Strong account (they have a free trial) they have a tutorial on how to set up on your iPhone, laptop or router.

If you decide to use a wireless router, you have to use one that is programmable...there are a number on the market, including Linksys and Asus. These routers need to be loaded with a Linux or DDWRT program script in order to use an Open VPN.
    Last edited by SirFlopALot; 13-04-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    I'VE GOT NETFLIX!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In addition to Netflix you should also subscribe for Hulu Plus (~US$7/mo) and also Pandora (free). Also get all three of these for your iPhone and iPad!
    Last edited by SirFlopALot; 13-04-2012 at 12:46 AM.

btw I currently use a Asus RTN16 router which is very fast and has a ton of memory. This router can be purchased for about HK$800-1200 but you will then have to program it...which is not too difficult if you are a tech guy (I am not). I have a spare Asus router (long story why I have two...there was an error in shipping ) that has already been programmed and just needs to have the Open VPN setting uploaded. If someone is interested please message me...I am looking for what I paid for it (cost about US$250 including shipping) and I can help you set it us with an Open VPN so you can use it right out of the box (you will need to subscribe for the service but I will load the settings if you are unfamiliar).

@SirFlopALot

Thanks for the info. What plan are you on with Strong? They are offering a $55 a year deal at the moment but their support/chat guys seem to have no clue what works for netflix in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFlopALot:
    In addition to Netflix you should also subscribe for Hulu Plus (~US$7/mo) and also Pandora (free). Also get all three of these for your iPhone and iPad!
    i don't have an ipad or an iphone. i don't care if i can see them on phones etc... i have to drive everywhere, so having on my phone is not a "fantastic" option. i wanted it at home so that the kids, hubby and i could enjoy it.

will look into hulu and pandora etc. thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by SirFlopALot:
    btw I currently use a Asus RTN16 router which is very fast and has a ton of memory. This router can be purchased for about HK$800-1200 but you will then have to program it...which is not too difficult if you are a tech guy (I am not). I have a spare Asus router (long story why I have two...there was an error in shipping ) that has already been programmed and just needs to have the Open VPN setting uploaded. If someone is interested please message me...I am looking for what I paid for it (cost about US$250 including shipping) and I can help you set it us with an Open VPN so you can use it right out of the box (you will need to subscribe for the service but I will load the settings if you are unfamiliar).
    SirFlopAlot, I am interested in your proposal. Will it be compatible with our ancient set up? Need access to movies and sitcoms from the States.
    Thank you.

i am officially IN LOVE with netflix.... i love the "if you liked this, then you might like these" feature!

Carang, how are you finding the content with Netflix (and also the quality). Last time I used it (about a year ago), I thought both the content and quality both sucked. Has much changed in a year?

Also, did you compare it to Hulu+?

I started by acquiring an American credit card. This can be done through the web with a company
    called ENTRO PAY which is an English Company. They provide you with a pay as you go online Visa
    card including expire date and security number.
    I next printed out the the list of compatible routers from the dd-wrt.com web site and went shopping for
    and purchased a router. I then flashed the router with the new software from dd-wrt following their instructions to
    the letter to insure not bricking the router(making it unusable).
    I next signed up for a StrongVPN account which provides the tunnel to the USA. There are other companies
    including some that are free but I have found StrongVPN to be the best.
    Armed with the information from StrongVPN including user name and password I followed the instructions
    found here (DD-WRT PPTP Setup | StrongVPN.com) once this was done and tested I added the wireless
    router to my existing Internet providers router via a Ethernet cable. This will now provide you with access to any thing American
    including Netflix etc because of your American IP address and American credit card. If you want you can purchase a Roku,
    or any other American style video box that provides access to your favorite program through your TV. I know Roku works as
    it has a power adapter that is 110/220 volt.
    Hope this helps.

JaredHK likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast