Like Tree8Likes

Want to get a custom PC rig

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Want to get a custom PC rig

Hello everyone,

My laptop that I use to run windows has recently passed away (mobo died), and so I'm looking to switch to a desktop.

Rather than buying pre-made ones I thought that getting one built would not only be more cost-efficient but also fit my needs more precisely.

I've been to several computer malls in Hong Kong, namely, Mong Kok, Sham Shui Po (Golden Centre), Wanchai 881(?), etc. but I haven't a clue when it comes to the PC building sector.

I was hoping if anyone here could point me in the right direction and perhaps guesstimate what I might expect to pay for a gaming rig or what I could get for a <$10,000 budget.

Anything else I should know about buying/owning a built PC would be much appreciated!

P.S. I have a monitor already.

HMmm I use a <$2k custom gaming rig to play tic tac toe and solitaire.

The integration monkeys at MK/SSP will do it for you. They usually have a few "recommended" combo unit price there. Ranging from low-end-soon-to-be-out-of-production-components (abt 2k) to middle range units around 5k. If you plan to spend something like 10k, you prob are looking at the higher end. I'm not sure what gaming rig you need and what kind of games you play. I sure hopes it makes you shoot better

I know some games don't run on mine because I don't have a graphics card. I would presume getting a GOOD graphics card (are you using 40 in tv as monitor?high res?) would probably make the diff. Otherwise a bigger HD would not make a diff but a faster spinning one might give you a few seconds edge. RAM, i'm not sure but I would think the GPU would take the load hence ram job would be minimal. Also depends on how you use it. If you play it 24hrs a day, you want better cooler. If you play 1 hr a day, I doubt you'll need the cooling. dvd player get the cheap ones and dump them when they break after 1 year.

Its actually quite hard to tell you whats needed and not without knowing what your goals/need are. I built one few months back with cheap being a goal and came up at $1300. A close to silent one at $4k+. For you, I would guess about $6k? considering you would need a quite good video card and HD prices at ridiculous levels now. I've a feeling 6k to 10k diff wouldn't be that much different in terms of gaming experience. Probably slightly faster loading speed.

Check this thread on Dear Giant's experience custom building a desktop.

ksy likes this.

@ycchai

Haha I'm sure a better rig will really 'enhance' my gaming experience ;-) In all seriousness though I quoted 10k as a figure I wouldn't pay more than, what I'm really looking for is anything that fits my needs between 5-10k.

I apologize for not outlining exactly what I intended to do with the rig, but yeah mostly gaming, and some image/video editing on the side.

@huja

Thanks for the link! Great read.

Looks like it'll be a smart idea to write down some figures from newegg.com or a similar site so I don't get ripped off clueless.

Can anyone recommend any particular store(s) that tends to be honest with their prices, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by ksy:

I was hoping if anyone here could point me in the right direction and perhaps guesstimate what I might expect to pay for a gaming rig or what I could get for a <$10,000 budget.
    Read this: System Builder Marathon, Dec. 2011: $1200 Enthusiast PC : AMD's FX-6100 Gets Its Big Chance

THW does regular "recommended builds" at specific price points.
    ksy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Read this: System Builder Marathon, Dec. 2011: $1200 Enthusiast PC : AMD's FX-6100 Gets Its Big Chance

THW does regular "recommended builds" at specific price points.
    Thanks for the link!

You might try this computer guy in TST: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Harvey:
    You might try this computer guy in TST: [email protected]
    Thanks for the response, but it seems like sekaitech provides more than what I am looking for.

I suggest you use price.com.hk as pricing guide. Use the search function at the top if you can't read chinese. just key in the model no.

The problem with overseas review website is that some of the components are not "common" in HK. Hence you have the issue of not finding all the components in 1 shop. I notice the standard Asus, MSI, gigabyte, foxconn is the common staple here for boards and Graphics. If you deviate, there is likelihood you can't find it or have to go to another shop for different comps. So if you don't mind the slight delay. Stick to 1 shop for simplicity. Get a good graphics card as you'll need that for the game shading etc when you play it on big screen tv

ksy likes this.

I paid a visit to MK and SSP today and SSP has hands down a much larger selection of goods when it comes to building a PC.

The prices they are offering seem to be in line with newegg.com, etc. but it seems that negotiating with the larger stores is quite difficult, so what I may plan to do is buy my parts from different smaller shops that I can bargain with and that should save me quite a few bucks.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast