Like Tree4Likes

how to watch the latest movies and sitcoms from the US at home?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

HiMedia player HD600A - Products - HiMedia
    You can watch movies, TV shows online and play downloaded files in hard disk, USB sticks and memory cards. Almost all streaming services (Qiyi, QQ, Sohu, Tudou, Youku, PPS, PPTV and more) are in Chinese though they have many foreign movies and TV shows. The price is around 500 HKD in Sham Shui Po.

Quote Originally Posted by bagel:
    Hello,

I notice the sophisticated discussions here on how to watch the latest movies and sitcoms from the States and I wonder if someone can provide some information on how this can be done at home on the TV. I don't want to watch the movies on the laptop so what is required to stream from the laptop to the TV? I have an Itunes account and would appreciate some basic advice as I am pretty naiive about this and need to figure out how to be able to watch good quality movies on TV at affordable rates.

Thank you!

Go for VPN service use {hidemyass.com or something like this} and get a US IP Address then go for Netflix or Hulu Subscription and you can stream Internet Videos and Movies on your computer.

Once you get this, buy a Network Media Player and Stream Videos from your Laptop to your TV. PS3 can also be used, which I use myself.

You will need to spend quite a lot to do so...

Cheaper option would be to watch online or download via Torrent as others suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by bagel:
    The laptop I have is a IBM Think Pad T40 which doesn't seem to have a HDMI port. The TV is also old the Sharp Aquos and doesn't have a HDMI port or USB port. What do you suggest for me?
    I just googled the specs of your ANCIENT laptop and it appears to have an S-Video Port (in addition to a Sanskrit keyboard - not really, but damn is that an old laptop!).

Your vintage TV may likely have an S-video port as well.

S-video does NOT carry audio so you will have to use the 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter I mentioned previously.

As was also mentioned earlier, your computer will struggle to play and download content, but this looks like the most direct linkage from laptop to TV.

Original Post Deleted

I recommend the 900B and other HDD models by HiMedia & they sell for $900-$1100 (you need to add the HDD). If you must illegally download then I recommend NZB/Usenet as its way faster and less risky than torrents.

The 900B and HDD models also come with 2 USB ports where you can attach flash drives/notebook HDD's + additional cables to connect BR/DVD/SATA drives as well.

I use Netflix & a few other paid services on my xbox + HiMedia box for other stuff.
    Last edited by JaredHK; 21-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Buy a DVD player.

Buy some pirated DVDs.

Job done.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Buy a DVD player.

Buy some pirated DVDs.

Job done.
    Hi Pin,
    We have a DVD player and I used to go to Shenzen and buy pirated stuff there. Now that I am 5 months pregnant, with a toddler and working, this option is not appealing right now. For the next one year my mobility will be relatively limited so I am trying to figure out how not to get behind on movies and sitcoms etc.

Thank you Huja for your detailed assistance and humor. Yes, the laptop and TV and DVD players were bought in 2006. Let me get back to you after I check what you asked me to check.

This is what I do.

You TV will certainly have a projector port. And of course you will have to buy a cable. I assume you have a PC input from your TV.

Then buy a 3.5 mm cable for your sound.

Last edited by virago; 21-02-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    jjohnso5 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah you can add your HDD but be sure to back it up as a format is needed after install.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Do your laptop and TV have DVI connections?

If so, then that will take care of the video feed. For the audio feed, buy a 3.5mm jack-RCA cable adapter like this.

The 3.5mm end plugs into the audio "out" of your laptop (headphone port) and the RCA ends go into the audio "in" ports on the back of the TV.
    but how do you get sound of the telly? cos the HDMI input doesnt have those phono/RCA inputs......

DVI takes care of the video . . . the 3.5mm jack-to-RCA takes care of the audio.