Like Tree4Likes

how to watch the latest movies and sitcoms from the US at home?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    I had a similar setup a few years ago.

I cannot provide details here (I don't currently have a Win XP computer with TV out) but you need to look in your video settings for "Overlay".

There should be a checkbox or setting that will let you show video on your TV.

If you could take a screenshot of your video settings (Alt+Prnt Scrn then paste into "Paint") that may help
    Thank you! Will get back to you in a few days once husband has time to go over this again.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    anyone using Slingbox?
    I have been using a Slingbox for a few years now but view mostly on my laptop, iPhone or to catch NBA games while in the offich (shh!). I managed to purchase a Slingcatcher from the UK last year and have hooked it up to the TV but honestly, I haven't used it much as we watch NetFlix or HuluPlus usually. I may sell the Slingcatcher if anyone is interested...not sure as these have become difficult to get but I am considering....

I terminated our NowTV subscription about 18-20 months ago as the ~HK$400/mo charge was too expensive for what we got. Instead I switched to viewing US TV through Netflix and HuluPlus...both of which are US$7-8/mo, so a substantial monthly savings.

As these are U.S. services they are geo restricted, so in order to access I did have to subscribe to a VPN service at ~US$100/year, but since I share VPN connection with my laptop and iPhone it's decent value. I access Netflix and HuluPlus (as well as Pandora, Crackle, AmazonPrime, etc) using a Roku box as well as a second generation AppleTV box. As the Roku and AppleTV does not have a way to activate a PPTP or LT2P VPN service the way a laptop, iPhone or iPad can, I had to set up a WiFi network in the apartment that would transmit a U.S. location constantly; which I was able to do using a Linksys router and an open VPN subscription. So in the end I did have to invest some upfront money for hardware, but the breakeven as far as total cost was about 20-24 mos so I'm just about there.

Also, another plus for my setup is that as can I access Netflix and Hulu on my iPhone (using an LP2P VPN) I not only can watch while to/from work, but also lets me connect my iPhone to TVs in hotel rooms when we travel. This lets the kids watch Sesame Street, Dora, Barney, etc. and saves us from carrying a DVD player for their videos. And one day I will finally get around to buying an iPad!

Last edited by SirFlopALot; 22-03-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    amrit.bharadwaj and JaredHK like this.

Has anyone tried this Anyplex service?

Anyplex數碼點播

Seems to be Hong Kong based.

Just wanted to post update that overlay was auto selected and while DVD playing on laptop was projected onto the TV, we were not able to stream anything (example a trailer) from itunes, for instance. At this point, we have given up. But thank you so much for suggestions. Much appreciated.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5