Fixing or replacing an NTSC Xbox 360

Closed Thread

Fixing or replacing an NTSC Xbox 360

Hi, everyone--longtime listener, first-time caller.

Here's the situation: I have an NTSC Xbox 360... an old one, one of the Premium jobbies with an external hard drive, circa 2007 or so. So far, it las lived with me in several different parts of the planet without any trouble. But today, it suddenly started freezing after a few minutes of use.

No luck troubleshooting so far, but if anyone has any solutions, I'm happy to listen.

Most likely, the box has gone to the great big bitmap in the sky. And that means I need to fix it or replace it. So: where can this be done?

I know from a small bit of research that a lot of the boxes here are NTSC-J format, but I'm not at all confident that my NTSC games will work on one of those.

Is there a place on Hong Kong island where one can buy a "regular" NTSC Xbox? What about a place that would repair one? All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Check the Game building on Wanchai Rd. I think its # 188. There are a couple of repair shops.

Freezing: Have you tried clearing your HDD Cache & Mem card cache? Highlight the drive and hit the Y button to clear the cache.

As for repairs..its highly unlikely anyone here will repair a NTSC U/C box but if you do find someone let me know. I have had a few US consoles die on me over the years and have yet to find someone to fix them. The only place you can buy a NTSC box in HK is via Play Asia & their prices are a rip off.

Most NTSC U/C games will not work on the local J consoles so if you plan on staying here for a while you might want to consider buying a J console. You can also call MS support and see if they can fix it or offer you a trade in for another NTSC box.

Good Luck !

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Freezing: Have you tried clearing your HDD Cache & Mem card cache? Highlight the drive and hit the Y button to clear the cache.

As for repairs..its highly unlikely anyone here will repair a NTSC U/C box but if you do find someone let me know. I have had a few US consoles die on me over the years and have yet to find someone to fix them. The only place you can buy a NTSC box in HK is via Play Asia & their prices are a rip off.

Most NTSC U/C games will not work on the local J consoles so if you plan on staying here for a while you might want to consider buying a J console. You can also call MS support and see if they can fix it or offer you a trade in for another NTSC box.

Good Luck !
    Thanks, guys. Yes, I tried clearing the cache. As far as I can tell, it does not help. Neither does removing the hard drive, which is a bad sign.

Play Asia was one of the first places I checked to get a new box, and you're right--that is absurdly expensive. Bummer that there don't seem to be any places that repair NTSC machines... I will let you know if I discover otherwise.

Kind of annoying about the NTSC-J vs. NTSC U/C thing. I have a fair number of region-free games I got while living in the Middle East, but it sounds like nothing I brought with me from the U.S. will work.

Quote Originally Posted by magedo:
    Thanks, guys. Yes, I tried clearing the cache. As far as I can tell, it does not help. Neither does removing the hard drive, which is a bad sign.

Play Asia was one of the first places I checked to get a new box, and you're right--that is absurdly expensive. Bummer that there don't seem to be any places that repair NTSC machines... I will let you know if I discover otherwise.

Kind of annoying about the NTSC-J vs. NTSC U/C thing. I have a fair number of region-free games I got while living in the Middle East, but it sounds like nothing I brought with me from the U.S. will work.
    There are lists of RF games online so you might want to refer to those & check if any of your games will work on a J console. If your box is not tampered with/flashed ..MS should offer you a trade in for a local console at $800-$900 HKD.

Edit:
    http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Region_Free_Xbox_360_Games
    Last edited by JaredHK; 03-04-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    There are lists of RF games online so you might want to refer to those & check if any of your games will work on a J console. If your box is not tampered with/flashed ..MS should offer you a trade in for a local console at $800-$900 HKD.

Edit:
    Region Free Xbox 360 Games - Wikia Gaming - Walkthroughs, games, guides, and more
    Hey, thanks. $800 isn't bad at all... I assume MS has a local number to call to set all this up. Do you know by any chance how long the trade in takes? Is it a deal where I mail them my old box and they send me a new one?

Hey, thanks. $800 isn't bad at all... I assume MS has a local number to call to set all this up. Do you know by any chance how long the trade in takes? Is it a deal where I mail them my old box and they send me a new one?
    It should take under a week if they offer you the deal.
    Support Hotline: 3071-4868

Sweet. Thanks again for the advice. What's your gamertag?*

*assuming I ever have a functional Xbox again.

Sweet. Thanks again for the advice. What's your gamertag?*

*assuming I ever have a functional Xbox again.
    I'll send it to you in a PM. Keep us posted on your progress.