Like Tree5Likes

Projector TV & Home Cinema

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Projector TV & Home Cinema

Does anyone have any recommendations for shops that sell projectors and / or the home cinema sound gubbins on HK island or Kowloon.

I guess Wan Chai computer centre might be a good place to look for the kit, but would also be good to go to a shop which could provide demos, setup advice and all that.

All answers gratefully received!

Thumbs up

Best place that I can recommend is:

Home Theatre Pro Shop
    2/F Grancastle Commercial Centre
    2T Sai Yeung Choi Street South,
    Mong Kok.
    ph 2388 9394

We purchased our Sanyo PLV-Z5 Home cinema projector from there, and they have one of the best demonstration rooms in HK for projectors. They have some very serious gear in there, I saw a a topline Marantz DLP and a Runco in their demo rack, so they cater for all budgets.

Their demo room is very quiet, properly blacked out etc.. At a guess I'd say their room was 80m2 - 100m2 ?...

Its not your typical department store deal, as its located in a building you'd never expect to find such a shop, but its very much the same style of high end hifi/av shop I am used to buying my gear from back home...

You should be very happy with what you find there...

Hope that helps... Here are some photo's of our modest home cinema at home, just for good measure. I'm running progressive component output from our DVD player into the Sanyo, and its as sharp as a tack. Absolutely love this projector, natural black level, exceptional shadow detail that shames our plasma, every bit as good as all the reviews I read online, prior to buying it.

Name:  1IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  134.1 KB
    Name:  1IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  99.6 KB
    Name:  1IMG_0070.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  176.8 KB
    Name:  1IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  157.5 KB
    Name:  1IMG_0170.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  146.5 KB

Last edited by Skyhook; 14-10-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    DirkStruan likes this.

I forgot to mention also, that it might be a good idea to do a bit of research online before you hit the shops, HK instore service isnt particularly great, and it will definately be in your best interest to be clued up before you enter any store.

http://www.projectorcentral.com and http://www.avsforum.com/ I found to be the best unbiased sources of online info, via plentiful user reviews, from people who actually own the gear.

DirkStruan likes this.

That's awesome - thanks very much!

No worries mate, no trouble at all.

home theater

pls let us know the cost you had to bear for this projector tv. how big the screen is 50"/60" ...?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shahir:
    pls let us know the cost you had to bear for this projector tv. how big the screen is 50"/60" ...?

thanks
    My OS brand scissor lift ( pulls up in front of our wall mounted LCD TV ) screen is 92 inches diagonal ( 16 x 9 ratio ) or 2030mm Wide x 1140mm high.

I paid around $14,000 for my Sanyo PLV-Z5 ( native 16 x 9 LCD panels with auto lens aperture ) projector including the OS screen, back in 2007. Money well spent as the picture performance even by today's standards is still very impressive. Very, very happy with it, and glad we did it.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 12-01-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    DirkStruan likes this.

Thanks So much , for the info.

i shall go to the shop and see latest offer. Not as some thing different, projector tv also best suit for the small houses we have in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by shahir:
    Thanks So much , for the info.

i shall go to the shop and see latest offer. Not as some thing different, projector tv also best suit for the small houses we have in Hong Kong.
    As an added piece of buying advice that is pertinent to Hong Kong, as lounge rooms can be quite small, making it more difficult to achieve the right throw distance between the lens of the projector and achieving a decent 90 - 120 inch image. Anything less isn't worth investing in a projector imho, just get a big flat screen wall mounted telly.......lol If your lounge is 200ft2 or bigger, you'll be fine.

The other consideration is the placement, generally it's best to have the projector mounted to the ceiling slightly off centre in relationship to the screen, but in our original case our ceiling back when we first purchased our projector was 16.5 feet high and was arched, so, mounting a projector wasn't practical or aesthetically possible.

one of the main reasons i chose the Sanyo PLV-Z5 at the time was that this particular projector has a lens shift adjustment which allows the projector to be mounted beside a sofa /couch etc allowing you to line the projected image square in relation to the screen from the side. Not a feature that was commonly adopted back in 2007, Sony also had this feature on a couple of their models at the time, but the Sanyo won my business in the end..

The other great thing is that you can generate a 90 - 100 inch image from as close as 3.5 metres or at 7 metres, so it has a lot of placement flexibility. Ideal even for people that have a HK small lounge, you can still enjoy a projector providing it has a short throw lens plus shift function.

The current version that replaced my PLV-Z5 is either the PLV-Z700 or the PLV-Z3000. I've heard reports that they have had some reliability issues with the PLV-Z700, so it might be wise to spend a little more and just get the PLV-Z3000, which is popular among home cinema enthusiasts and it is the only projector under $10,000US dollars to have 5.5 pull down option... Here is a review and a great resource website for all things projector related > Sanyo PLV-Z3000 Projector Review
    Last edited by Skyhook; 15-01-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    DirkStruan likes this.

While we are on this topic, I am very keen on updating to LG's Hecto Laser TV as per their demonstration at the last CES show in Vegas... This I believe offers a some distinct advantages that previous lamp based front firing projectors didn't/don't have. One being a very short throw distance, 22 inches in fact, and the fact that being laser it can compete with ambient light without any issues. The colour reproduction and level of detail is apparently pretty amazing, so I am very interested in updating to this new display technology.

My existing set up, which I am very happy with, below....

DirkStruan likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast