Like Tree2Likes

XBOX 360 - First time buyer questions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

On a related subject, when are the next generations of the Xbox/PS3 due?

I've been thinking about one of the 2 for my son but feel the tech is getting a bit long in the tooth and would be better to wait for what should be a step change?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob

I've been thinking about one of the 2 for my son but feel the tech is getting a bit long in the tooth and would be better to wait for what should be a step change?
    currrent generation is fine, especally as prices are affordable ( around HK$2000), but the point is that are you willing to wait until end of 2013 and spend around HK$4000 and the chances that you may not even tell the difference ( while your son may be able to)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob

I've been thinking about one of the
    2 for my son but feel the tech is getting a bit long in the tooth and would be better to wait for what should be a step change?
    Both PS and 360 next gen models are due in Q4 2013. Prototypes are being showed to developers this week at E3.

The current gen is cheap but there are a lot of HW limitatoons which are easily seen in new titles like GRFS etc. Many top developers are holding back releases until the next gen console.

MS has indicated that prices will be similar to current gen so don't expect to pay 4k like in 2005.

This is a good year to buy a 360 console as there are some good games out like Borderlands 2, Hitman Absolution, Black Ops 2 and the most anticipated Halo 4.

People new to the 360 should also consider picking up Ghost Recon FS, Borderlands 1, Halo CEA, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, Gears of War 1,2,3 and Kinect sports titles if you have kids.

@paranoic
    Not sure about PS3 but I have tested some next gen Xbox titles and its a HUGE difference over current gen so you will notice a big difference in graphics, customization options and Multiplayer capacity.

J
    Last edited by JaredHK; 03-06-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Xbox 360 Slim vs. PS3 Slim - CNET Prizefight - CNET.com

unbiased review by cnet

question to op or potential x360 or ps3 buyer, do you have a standalone bluray player, if no, then ps3 is a cost effective way of play bluray as well as playing games.

graphics wise, both x360 and ps3 are pretty close, but ps3 seems to have slightly visuals as in evident in uncharted 3 and heavy rain, apparently, if you are not a die hard gamer, you will barely tell the difference.
    '
    http://www.psu.com/a007234/Cage--Hea...box-360?page=0

there higher proportion of japanese developed games on ps3 on the basis that ps3 has sold almost 7 mil in japan, while x360 has sold aroudn 1.5mil in japan

respectable magazine famistu ( they have been going for 20 years, hence the name is derived from famicom/ japanese nes) appears to rate the ps3 has slightly better range of games in regards to scoring gold catergory,

It's Official: PS3 Has The Best Library Ever

I personally don't just play FPS/TPS ( first person shooters) but killzone, Vanquish, call of duty-mw are quite good, what type of games does the op's son prefer?

i personally like beat em ups, ie, street figher 4 arcade edition, rpg's such as final fantasy 13-2, disgraea, winning eleven for footy, gran turismo for racing, for causal gaming for the older generation, kids and friends, i have buzz ( quiz game) and singstar ( karaoke), there are also great for partys

i do admire x360 exclusives such as r type dimensions, radiant silvergun and ikuraga, but these are really hardcore games remade from previous generations

We have a Blu Ray player so that is not as much of an issue for now.

Right now given that this is for a 10 year old, the beat-em-ups, first person shooters and many of the ultra violent games don't really appeal to us. The main games I expect that will be played will be Star Wars / Lego / Kinnect enabled family games... so the XBox wins.

Given that the games on either system cost upwards of US$45, I don't see us buying more than a game or two a year.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    We have a Blu Ray player so that is not as much of an issue for now.

Right now given that this is for a 10 year old, the beat-em-ups, first person shooters and many of the ultra violent games don't really appeal to us. The main games I expect that will be played will be Star Wars / Lego / Kinnect enabled family games... so the XBox wins.

Given that the games on either system cost upwards of US$45, I don't see us buying more than a game or two a year.

I didn't realize he was 10 You can easily pick up many of the older Lego titles, Disney stuff etc for $20ish in Ho King or Sino.

You might also want to look into the parental control settings on the console after you pick it up Just Show Me: How to set up parental controls on the Xbox 360 - YouTube

One last question .. does the XBOX 360 come with an HDMI cable by default? If not, what is the default cable in HK?

Also, FYI .. buying it from Toys R Us.

Yes it come with HDMI cable for the new ones.

DNLA is ok a bit of hit and miss playing MKV and i never manage to play subtitles but gave up fast i got a samsung dnla tv not long after the xbox who can play anything.

For game buy second hand in computer center a lot of cheap family games.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    One last question .. does the XBOX 360 come with an HDMI cable by default? If not, what is the default cable in HK?

Also, FYI .. buying it from Toys R Us.
    Yes it does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2