GoogleTV, AppleTv..etc. Need Help!

Closed Thread

GoogleTV, AppleTv..etc. Need Help!

I am going to be moving to HK from the US in one month. I want to purchase everything I need before I leave. I would like to have access to US TV shows, sports, netflix...etc. I also plan on having a slingbox back in the States at my parents house.

I have read many of the posts, and although it has my head spinning, I would like to get advice as to the best devices to buy before I come over.

Some questions:
    What are peoples' experience with slingbox good/bad?
    Which device is best: GoogleTV, AppleTV, Roku when it comes to getting Netflix, slingplayer...etc?
    Do I need to get a special wireless modem to bring with me?
    Is it easy to set up either a modem or one of the above mentioned devices to go through a vpn?

Thanks for your help!

I think I answered one question for myself via the strongvpn website. If I get a "plug and go" router from Sabai Technology and a strongVPN account, that should resolve any issues with getting around firewalls, correct?

If that issue is resolved, which of the Sabai Products would you recommend? Do I need to go with a dual gateway router (USD399.95) or can I adequately use one of the lower priced routers given the fact that we will have multiple users at the same time?

Thank again.

Sabai's dual gate way configuration is a very good set up but is a premium price. If I were starting from scratch I would very much consider it rather than the two wiresless networks set up I currently have. Slingplayer on laptop, iPhone and iPad streams OK (I have a slingbox HD in LA) and the Slingcatcher I have connected to the TV also works fine. Right now I am running PS3, AppleTV and Roku (as well as iPhone and laptop) for accessing US content as well as the Slingcatcher and Slingplayer software...lots of overlapping devices unfortunately as no one device does everything I want

If you want a device for accessing the Slingbox, you either need a Slingcatcher, Boxee Box or Logitech (?). Netflix is available on a lot of devices although I much prefer the interface it has on AppleTV vs what is on the Roku and PS3. Apple TV now has Hulu so that is a plus as well as the iTunes store. But Roku has Pandora, Crackle, Amazon, and many others. At some point I will likely jailbreak the AppleTV so I can get US and European sports.

Last edited by SirFlopALot; 25-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Thaks SFAL.

What is a Slingcatcher? I Googled it but didn't get a clear answer. I am familiar with Slingbox but not sure what the "catcher" is.

One of the things I like about Google TV vs the other devices (AppleTv, Roku...etc), is that it has the Slingbox App. Would that replace the Slingcatcher?

What is your need for Roku AND AppleTV AND PS3? What does one have over the other?

Thanks for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by mctrojan:
    .....What is a Slingcatcher? I Googled it but didn't get a clear answer. I am familiar with Slingbox but not sure what the "catcher" is.....
    Amazon.com: Sling Media SlingCatcher SC100-100 Universal Media Player for TV: Electronics

It's no longer available, but I barely use mine so may sell it if you are interested. It's was purchased in London unit so configured for HK power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by mctrojan:
    ....What is your need for Roku AND AppleTV AND PS3? What does one have over the other?
    These boxes have overlap except for:
    PS3 - blu ray player, web browser
    Apple TV - iTunes, Music Match
    Roku - NBA, Pandora, Crackly, Amazon Prime, many other apps since essentially open source

All three have Netflix and two of them now have Hulu+