Like Tree16Likes

Where To Buy Good Speakers?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Everywhere mentioned above is probably the right place to go. But if you're going for the $500hkd range, just go to any shopping mall. Even HMV has a range of fancy speakers.

Now since I'm here I'd also like to ask a question to audiophiles. I've been looking for bookshelf speakers for my room, which I'm fairly new to, coming from a 2.1 setup. Looking for 2.0 coz the subwoofer just takes too much space (in a typical HK flat).

Budget is about 1 - 1.5k , so based on bang for buck I've narrowed it down to Swan D1080-IV's, or maybe Audioengine A2's. A5's if I sell a kidney. I'm leaning towards the Swans but I heard they are pretty hard to find in Hong Kong, and warranty is not very useful. Anybody know a good place other than Mong Kok to find these or is MK the best choice.
    Hell, are Edifers any good with 2.0's?

Thanks in advance!

I've heard Sham Shui Po has a lot of speakers but I'm not too sure about the quality.

you mean docks and active, not speakers, real speakers, decent ones require amplifiers, such as mission, kef, b & W and far higher budget that you stated as well as far standard that you seem to mention.

Sneakers, speakers... whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by recdog7:
    I've heard Sham Shui Po has a lot of speakers but I'm not too sure about the quality.
    On Apliu St. there are a few 2nd hand shops that have higher end hifi stuff, incl., speakers. You will find brands like Rogers, Accuphase etc.

For new and really high end I suggest you buy one of those Hong Kong Chinese hifi magazines. Study the ads, the shops are nowadays somewhere higher up inside commercial buildings.

Yau Shing Commercial Centre in Mongkok is also worth a visit for new stuff, many stores on the upper levels still have speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by recdog7:
    Seriously, what kind of amplified speakers do you expect to get for HKD 400 ? That price range is PC-speaker territory, not Hifi.

I ended up getting a good, portable stereo for for $480. And my roommate supposedly got an even better one with subwoofers for $450 I think.

What if I'm looking to buy a stereo with very loud speakers, that could blast on a beach for example, is Sham Shui Po alright? I don't want to spend more than $800-1000. I just don't want to get an amplifier to go with the speakers.

http://www.groupon.hk/deals/shopping...aker/716477541

this what you can get for little amount of money, a decent dock, onkyo is a quality brand for HK$788, bargain

BTW, you can't get really decent active speaker for your budget and to take an active speaker to the beach, you need a power source unless you have a generator, thus, you have a portable speakers with battery

There's a seriously nice, and seriously expensive, portable speaker system from B&O .. out of my price range though!
    http://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplayv1

At home however, I use freestanding JM Lab (they have renamed the brand now) and I love them, bought them years and years ago for around $10K

Well, the beach I'm going to (Repulse) has an outlet I can plug the stereo into. So I don't need it to be battery-powered/portable. Just want a stereo that is very loud but under $1000 HK. My roommate has subwoofers that go pretty loud and got it for around $500 apparently.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast