Like Tree16Likes

Where To Buy Good Speakers?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy
    I am in the market for a pair of floor standing speakers and went to 3 of the shops there last Monday. My budget is around the $12-15,000 area and I was made to feel a pauper in all of them!

The Tannoys that consistently win the WhatHiFi awards are not available in HK. The Castles (4 and 5)I havnt listened to yet, but gather they may be a bit "soft" for a good home theatre system.

Any suggestions for a non back ported speaker appreciated.

Room size around 16*13.
    A few decades ago Hong Kong was FULL with street level audio shops. Nowadays there are far less and most are not on street level anymore.

What I suggest is to get one of those local high end audio magazines and check the ads. Many of the audio shops are now on the 10/F of some buildings, often in Mongkok, but can be all over Hong Kong.

Have you checked those shops that sell Tannoy?

http://www.price.com.hk/category.php...=TANNOY&sort=5

http://www.ccav.hk/product/list/category-id/7 (click floor standing & tannoy)

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    A few decades ago Hong Kong was FULL with street level audio shops. Nowadays there are far less and most are not on street level anymore.

What I suggest is to get one of those local high end audio magazines and check the ads. Many of the audio shops are now on the 10/F of some buildings, often in Mongkok, but can be all over Hong Kong.

Have you checked those shops that sell Tannoy?

http://www.price.com.hk/category.php...=TANNOY&sort=5

http://www.ccav.hk/product/list/category-id/7 (click floor standing & tannoy)
    well, most people in HK (also often the case the west) uses mp3,ipods, phones as main source of music, these people tend to buy docks, home cinema in a box or glorified amplified speakers than hifi, even the mini/micro system market has decreased (just like the midi system 15 years before), space is a issue as well, full size/proper hifi takes a lot of room, while a lot of locals have space limitations

some don't even realize what is a full size hifi and presume bose and bang and olufsen are the pinnacle of sonic excellence ( probably as these stores located in high end malls)

example, how many electronics shops still a cd player nowadays

now only the hifi niche market exist nowadays, hence, why they are either in basements shops or 1xth floor of buildings ( note, bose and bang and olufsen are never located in the same places as these true hifi places)

Damn, wish I read this before getting my Bose system although I am very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega
    Damn, wish I read this before getting my Bose system although I am very happy with it.
    maybe, if you demonstrate a cd of your favourite artist and hear the difference when you get the chance, and decide for yourself with your own ears, if high fidelity conveys the essences and emotions of music without hindering or adding unnecessary elements as the composer/writer intended to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy
    I am in the market for a pair of floor standing speakers and went to 3 of the shops there last Monday. My budget is around the $12-15,000 area and I was made to feel a pauper in all of them!

The Tannoys that consistently win the WhatHiFi awards are not available in HK. The Castles (4 and 5)I havnt listened to yet, but gather they may be a bit "soft" for a good home theatre system.

Any suggestions for a non back ported speaker appreciated.

Room size around 16*13.
    My first pair of speakers were B&W (I've since forgotten the serial number). When I came to HK I bought a pair of Castles before they went out of business. Never really satisfied with either. The Castles were small stand mounts for small HK apartment. The speakers that I own now are Dynaudio Confidence C1 - finally am happy and little urge to upgrade. You really need to audition a few brands to get the sound that you like. Also be weary that the sound in the store will be different from your home, and in HK there is no such thing as home audition, unless you have a fantastic relationship with a retailer. The reason Tannoys are not popular here is because they are extremenly wide speakers and take up much room.

There is a concept called the sonic circle which will help limit what brands that might appeal to you. Do you prefer a sound that is: precise (super accurate, detailed, forward, bass is large but not bloated), intense (flat freq response, cool, less sharp than precise more smoother, Northern European sound), refined (smooth even presentation, strong bass, smooth mids and mellow highs, American sound), smooth (high efficiency, full range sound and big dynamics, not in your face), emotional (single range drivers with high sensitivity, speed, warmth, roller coaster freq response) or vivid (wild and lively up top, warmth and body in mid and huge bass - British sound)?

Many people do not know what sound they like so the best is to audition a number of different speaker brands to find the one that you like. For your sized room, you can consider a floor standing speaker. A pair of speakers for $15k is very doable. A surround sound speaker system for the same price is much more difficult (pair of fronts, pair of surround, centre and sub). My recommendation if you want an entire surround sound system for that price, best to get the all in one pckage from KEF or similar (not Bose though, I do not recommend Bose).
    imparanoic and Rayzilla like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    sorry, I was not aware, when I am in yau shing building/sai yeung choi south area, maybe I am only focus on sony stuff, audio products or trainers/sneakers around these area.

when I am around tung choi market, same again, I am aware of old cd/lp shops along the sides and pictures of dodgy knock off watches , same again, my focusing is probably incorrect again

but I do realize when driving down parts of Jordan, all the ladies of the night seems to be a lot more obvious on the street and you definitely see more pink fluorescent lamps and noddy cinemas seem to become around those parts
    This is my point. You are not going to the yau shing building. If you were you would know it. You are going to the yau shing commercial center, like I said. The name is very important when using google maps.

Thanks thebrit for validating my story.

Quote Originally Posted by superpilot
    This is my point. You are not going to the yau shing building. If you were you would know it. You are going to the yau shing commercial center, like I said. The name is very important when using google maps.

Thanks thebrit for validating my story.
    the difference is the localized name and recent official English name.

I only generally read the Chinese name of places, not the English name, the original name is called 友誠商業大廈 (yau shing commercial building) shortened to 友誠大廈 (yau shing building - original name), only recently the name has changed to 友誠商業中心 (yau shing commericial centre, but no local calls it by this name

same principal expats as well as non speaking overseas call east tsim sha tsui which is a mouthful, but locals and official Chinese name is called 尖東 (tsim east) which shortened name of 尖沙咀東站 (tsim sha tsui east station) as well it's confusing as 尖沙咀尖站 ( tsim sha tsui station) is adjacent and directly connected to it

another example is vicwood plaza (維德廣場) in sheung wan recently named as infinitus plaza(無限極廣場) , most of the expats/non speakers of Chinese call this by it recent English name, rarely by it's old English name, while locals never call it by it recently introduced name, they only refer by it's old name 維德廣場

I am bringing this thread back to life because I am itching to get a starter pair of speakers. I am currently more of a headphone guy but after getting spoiled by the sound coming from my recently purchased HD800, I am now interested in expanding into the world of speakers. I don't know much about speakers and I don't really understand a lot of the technical aspects. If anyone here wants to go speaker auditioning/shopping with me one day, just let me know. I am setting a budget of about $3,000 and can go up to about double that. New or used, I am flexible.

it's amazing that flavor of the month/all the rage are mono /pseudo mono speakers that ranges up to HK$4000, but technology wise and faith reproduction of music, this is a backwards step, for that amount of money, you can almost buy a decent entry level real hifi ( cd player, amplifier and speakers) and listen true fidelity

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast