Like Tree3Likes

UK Xbox 360 games in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

You can change your console to other regions (once per year). I suggest you give Microsoft a call about that one. Not sure how that would effect with Jared's comments above.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    You can change your console to other regions (once per year). I suggest you give Microsoft a call about that one. Not sure how that would effect with Jared's comments above.
    You can change your console's Locale 50 times a day if you wish (no restrictions) and that will do nothing for the OP. the account is locked to the region is was created and that cannot be changed ever. I have no clue where you heard about this once a year change but this is totally incorrect.

I know the system inside out and have been on the web support team since XBL launched back in '01. The local support (Singapore call center) can do nothing for the OP as he is using a out of region console (PAL). They are only authorized to offer a trade in where he pays $900ish to swap his out of region console for a local one.
    Last edited by JaredHK; 27-09-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Issue #1 Your console is PAL and might not play CODBO2 and or H4. You have the option of importing the Aussie/UK version which will play on your console and you can join your buddies etc.

Issue #2 COD Elite and the DLC is always IP locked with any Treyarch games and I am hearing that there is a good chance this will be the case with H4 as well. In the case of IP locked DLC you will not be able to play it on a PAL disc even if you set up a HK account as its locked to the region lock.

If you don't want to cough up cash for a new console, the only option you have is to wait until release and figure it out then. I can test my HK disc on one of my PAL boxes for you when BO2 or H4 are out so you won't have to bother asking the stores.

@Paranoic
    Region locks/Season Passes work differently so even if the guy orders it from the UK he might not be able to match up with his UK/AUS buddies online, DLC might not work and a host of other issues. The Gears/PES franchise is a classic example of this problem where even the MP segment is segregated by region. Your suggestions are often great for people using old tech but can cause a lot of problems for anyone using current gen.
    Sounds like I'm just going to have to get someone in the UK to send me the games. Annoying, but what can you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Seano76:
    Sounds like I'm just going to have to get someone in the UK to send me the games. Annoying, but what can you do.
    the main point to consider, how many pal uk x360 games do you currently have?, if alot, then maybe it will be hassle and lose a lot of money trying to sell ( probably impossible to sell in HK)

how long do you expect to stay and will you go back to uk?, if no, maybe better to buy a new xbox or buy a ps3 (and never have any region locking issues, unless you wanna play dreadful pal ps1 games at 50htz), if yes, eventually, keep the xbox

are you bothered about the online gaming aspect or dlc? if yes, maybe considering selling up

Maybe, jared can add some suggestions as he is the resident xbox 360 expert

BTW, i have been importing japanese consoles since pc engine in the late 80's, over the years, region locking have been overcome by various methods, but it's impossible to do so on x360 unless jared can suggest some modification/jtagging, but you never play online if modded /jtagged
    Last edited by imparanoic; 28-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    the main point to consider, how many pal uk x360 games do you currently have?, if alot, then maybe it will be hassle and lose a lot of money trying to sell ( probably impossible to sell in HK)

how long do you expect to stay and will you go back to uk?, if no, maybe better to buy a new xbox or buy a ps3 (and never have any region locking issues, unless you wanna play dreadful pal ps1 games at 50htz), if yes, eventually, keep the xbox

are you bothered about the online gaming aspect or dlc? if yes, maybe considering selling up

Maybe, jared can add some suggestions as he is the resident xbox 360 expert

BTW, i have been importing japanese consoles since pc engine in the late 80's, over the years, region locking have been overcome by various methods, but it's impossible to do so on x360 unless jared can suggest some modification/jtagging, but you never play online if modded /jtagged
    I've got about 20 UK games I would say, basically all the Halo franchise and all COD games from COD4 onwards plus selected others. So if I buy a HK console I'd either have to buy all those games again, or have two consoles setup with two gold memberships and gamertags as well so I could play my existing games. Fair amount of hassles and probably enough less than buying the UK games and getting a mate to ship them to me. I also have a fair number of UK gamerpoints so assuming I can use them from here on my UK gamertag I can still get DLC.

My next move from here is likely to be to Oz (although not for a few years at least hopefully) in which case I believe it is the same region as the UK so I will be able to buy games there.

>>BTW, i have been importing japanese consoles since pc engine in the late 80's, over the years, region locking have been overcome by various methods, but it's impossible to do so on x360 unless jared can suggest some modification/jtagging, but you never play online if modded /jtagged<<

Times have changed and many of that old tech did not have online capabilities so bypassing checks was easy. its pointless even bringing it up as X360 and PS3 are very different systems in very different times.

Modded consoles get you flagged regardless of what people say and this happens regularly. Once your profile is flagged MS can reset it rendering all DLC useless and they reset your gamerscore to Zero + as a bonus your console/Hard drive might also get hardware banned. if this happens you have a lot ot lose and it does happen a lot...and yes to people in Hk too as we have a forum full of posts about people banned. Jtags can get online but the ban is almost instant these days so its not really worth it anymore.

The only choice Sean has is to buy a local console but since he is only after 2-3 titles, he might just want to import them and if the DLC is RL or IP Locked he will not be able to play it. In his case I don't see any point in buying a new console for 2 games as there is a new Xbox console due for release late 2013. I also messaged a buddy at MS HK who confirmed that COD WAW & BO1 had IP locked locked DLC so he expects the same with BO2.

People need to take this region locking and ip locking on dlc seriously and should buy a console or set up a account that suits you best. This is how it will be in the future and with the next gen MS and Sony hope to eventually move to a DL only model which is region, device and ip locked. This will protect the local sales but create a lot of problems for people like Sean or myself who use overseas accounts.

hello chums -
    I've been in the same position as you Sean - 25 UK games when I moved over and got RROD
    Ended up selling the RROD for $250 and buying a used HK xbox (NTSC:J) for $800. Most of my UK games worked on the HK one, from memory Halos and CODs worked, only GTA 4 and Gears 3 didn't, which I could rebuy if I ever want to.
    Sold all my UK games when I was last there, and haven't looked back.

In regards to your profile - I kept my UK region profile and still buy UK points and use the UK marketplace. i have not been locked out of any DLC thus far...

feel free to PM with any other Qs; I actually really wanted to set up a swapping forum here for a few xbox games if anyone fancied - but my posts kept getting removed.

Currently playing BF3 premium NTSC-J with all DLC, NTSC-J Xbox, UK profile.

Last edited by moo_2002; 01-10-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moo_2002:
    hello chums -
    I've been in the same position as you Sean - 25 UK games when I moved over and got RROD
    Ended up selling the RROD for $250 and buying a used HK xbox (NTSC:J) for $800. Most of my UK games worked on the HK one, from memory Halos and CODs worked, only GTA 4 and Gears 3 didn't, which I could rebuy if I ever want to.
    Sold all my UK games when I was last there, and haven't looked back.

In regards to your profile - I kept my UK region profile and still buy UK points and use the UK marketplace. i have not been locked out of any DLC thus far...

feel free to PM with any other Qs; I actually really wanted to set up a swapping forum here for a few xbox games if anyone fancied - but my posts kept getting removed.

Currently playing BF3 premium NTSC-J with all DLC, NTSC-J Xbox, UK profile.
    I got another confirmation confirmation from one of the developers at Treyarch that BO2 DLC will be region/ip locked just like the past releases. I also saw this post on their forums:
    http://community.callofduty.com/message/413306607

HK gets the US version for all IW released COD titles which are RF and so is the DLC. Treyarch discs are RF but the DLC is ip locked and locked to the disc version (J/U/C/Pal)
    Last edited by JaredHK; 02-10-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    if you sell up, better getting a ps3 if you plan to /may return to uk, no region coding issues, no hassle.
    Also just because PS3 is so much better

Jared any idea on whether Halo 4 will have the DLC locked? I don't tend to buy DLC for COD but normally do for Halo.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast