Like Tree3Likes

UK Xbox 360 games in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

UK Xbox 360 games in HK

I have a couple of UK Xbox 360's and am looking to buy Halo 4, COD BO2 and maybe a couple of other games. From what I've heard Xbox's are region locked so I can't buy a HK version of the game, and amazon and play in the UK both don't ship games to HK apparently. Is there anywhere in HK that sells UK versions of games or do people know of a UK website that I can buy games on and get them shipped here?

asked the x360 resident expert - jared

btw, i play uk, ( and all region games) on ps3, via ebay, yahoo hk auctions, play-asia, other expat hk classified

Xbox games and hardware are region locked but some games are region free. RF games are getting scarce of late as more developers region lock them.

I recommend that you buy the games locally (HK Versions) and a HK Console as I know for a fact that Treyarch (BO2) will lock the game as well as all the DLC and Elite content planned. Halo 3 was RF but they might lock H4. Lately people have also had problems with Season passes not working with out of region accounts or games.

You cannot buy UK games on Yahoo auctions and Play-Asia is a total rip off. Why don't you sell the Pal boxes on Geo and pick up a local one instead.

Note: If you plan on buying the BO2 DLC/Season pass make sure you have a local HK account as the DLC will all be ip locked.

Gt a mate or relative from UK and ship it over.

if you sell up, better getting a ps3 if you plan to /may return to uk, no region coding issues, no hassle.

I have pal games no avalible here such as buzz, singstar, also have japanese games not avalible in uk as well

Possibly a stupid question but are gamertags region locked? So if I buy a HK console and game can I then use my existing Aussie gamertag with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seano76:
    Possibly a stupid question but are gamertags region locked? So if I buy a HK console and game can I then use my existing Aussie gamertag with it?
    No not a stupid question and I had an issue with what you are saying when I bought a HK console and setup an Australian gamertag. It was linked to my hotmail account and therefore the region was automatically set. I then proceeded to buy a console in HK, bought some games and then realised that my gamertag was locked. I just abandoned the tag and setup a new HK one.

I suggest you setup a new gamertag.

You can use the current tag for your existing games (though I have no idea you can use on your new HK console) and then have a new one for you new games. A bit complicated though.

My current main gamertag is Aussie but because I was living in the UK and bought some points there I had to setup a UK gamertag as well. So if I get a HK gt then it's going to be 3 gamertags which will be pretty annoying, plus I'll have to buy two gold passes so I can play on both the Aussie and HK gt depending on what game I am playing with mates... Given I only tend to buy Halo and COD which is a yearly cycle at most I'm kinda tempted to just get someone in the UK to buy them and ship them over instead of stuffing around with buying a new console etc. Damn you Microsoft!

Last edited by Seano76; 27-09-2012 at 10:44 AM.

My current main gamertag is Aussie but because I was living in the UK and bought some points there I had to setup a UK gamertag as well. So if I get a HK gt then it's going to be 3 gamertags which will be pretty annoying, plus I'll have to buy two gold passes so I can play on both the Aussie and HK gt depending on what game I am playing with mates... Given I only tend to buy Halo and COD which is a yearly cycle at most I'm kinda tempted to just get someone in the UK to buy them and ship them over instead of stuffing around with buying a new console etc. Damn you Microsoft!
    it's not just microsoft who region lock their machines, nintendo does this since famicom/nes times

btw, my friend has sucessfull order from play.com shipped to HK (3 sucesses out of 5, the other 2 cancelled with refunds), problem lies that the delivery address requires uk postcode, and you end up with a miss match of hk and uk address for delivery details

I normally just order from play com and sent it to my uk address (paid by hk credit card) and have been doing this for the last 6 years, i even do xmas shopping to relatives in uk by this method

Issue #1 Your console is PAL and might not play CODBO2 and or H4. You have the option of importing the Aussie/UK version which will play on your console and you can join your buddies etc.

Issue #2 COD Elite and the DLC is always IP locked with any Treyarch games and I am hearing that there is a good chance this will be the case with H4 as well. In the case of IP locked DLC you will not be able to play it on a PAL disc even if you set up a HK account as its locked to the region lock.

If you don't want to cough up cash for a new console, the only option you have is to wait until release and figure it out then. I can test my HK disc on one of my PAL boxes for you when BO2 or H4 are out so you won't have to bother asking the stores.

@Paranoic
    Region locks/Season Passes work differently so even if the guy orders it from the UK he might not be able to match up with his UK/AUS buddies online, DLC might not work and a host of other issues. The Gears/PES franchise is a classic example of this problem where even the MP segment is segregated by region. Your suggestions are often great for people using old tech but can cause a lot of problems for anyone using current gen.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast