Android TV box?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Android TV box?

Does anyone use one of these types of boxes to surf the net on their TVs? I'm thinking of getting one so I can browse "ahem" movies on the net. Thoughts or opinions?

I'm looking at Stamp Android box that Groupon is selling. Ridiculous retail price but the discount price seems OK. Thoughts?

(note: I have no affiliation with Groupon or the manufacturer of the box but have purchased from Groupon before)

Thansk!

I've looked at this Android boxes as well.

Good in principle, but after reading various reviews and hitting the discussion forums (namely XDA), I have decided against.

As you probably know (and I'm sure many can back this up) I'm a massive Android fan, but I think these boxes still have a way to go before they are good enough for normal consumer consumption.

For the price I suggest you either get a small cheap Linux HTPC or a WD TV box.

I use a smart candy android tv google, it's a single core a9, 1ghz with 512 ram and 4 gig built in, wifi, sd card and single usb, it's ice cream sandwich and states on the box 1080p, but in reality it can NOT handle 1080p properly, but 720p is fine, but slightly clunky as it's mouse based, but at HK$299 it bargain basement, plus it's new ish 2012, one issue is that it seems to get hot and as it's straight plug to via hdmi, thus, i use a hdmi cable extension as there is no fan and that i worried it will burn my hdmi port on my tv, but the shop stated that they turn it on for 12 hrs a day, gets pretty hot but has not burned out yet after 2 months.

you also need to download a new browser dolphin for flash video and use a old flash add on as ice cream sandwich does not natively support flash ( following apples html5) to get online video working

stamp android has no specification , meaning it's better low spec and seems like based on last year and specs ( 2.3 gingerbread is quiote old) , this could be worse based on no specifications and probably based on low specs, ie. 800 mhz, 384 ram, 1gb storage, remote control could be even worse than mouse based controls, but it does have optical out for digital sound to an home cinema amp

Last edited by imparanoic; 05-11-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: more info

also to consider are the tiny new pc's such as the Lenovo Q180 and the Asus e range of desktops, each the size of large paperback novels

http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1866959

spec has been confirmed, very low spec, avoid - stamp android

everyone else recommends smart candy (HK$299, but does not include usb power at 2000mah HK$40 extra) or vdigi

wd tv is probably better and seems better qualitu, but at double the price HK$680 ish, you have to consider what you want, plus no indications on whether you go on internet on the reviews, as its a media player box, not really a cheap internet dongle/android mini computer on your tv

http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-vid...-33396690.html

Original Post Deleted
    Hi Brit - favour, can you see if you can also get Hulu Plus off your WD TV Live box?

Thanks for the replies and thoughts...looks like I will be passing on the Stamp box.

I'm still on the fence whether now is the time to get an Android TV box of if I should wait for a few months and the next cycle...unless I upgrade to a smart TV I know at some point I will get some kind of internet box. Right now I have a slingcatcher as well as Roku and AppleTV (on Open VPN) for my U.S. content fix, but have been making do with an old Mac Mini connected to the TV for web surfing and accessing "movie sites". The Mac Mini works but it's a clunky set up.

Original Post Deleted
    Does it have a web browser? If so is there anything preventing you from accessing the normal Hulu site?

Dear OP - the only way you can access the normal Hulu site is via a computer, due to various licensing reasons. There is no way of accessing normal Hulu through a streaming or Android box.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFlopALot:
    Thanks for the replies and thoughts...looks like I will be passing on the Stamp box.

I'm still on the fence whether now is the time to get an Android TV box of if I should wait for a few months and the next cycle...unless I upgrade to a smart TV I know at some point I will get some kind of internet box. Right now I have a slingcatcher as well as Roku and AppleTV (on Open VPN) for my U.S. content fix, but have been making do with an old Mac Mini connected to the TV for web surfing and accessing "movie sites". The Mac Mini works but it's a clunky set up.
    Based on the above, I think best thing for you is to get a more up to date Mac Mini or a Linux or Windows based HTPC. FYI - which "movie" sites are you accessing via the web?

I just find its easier to download.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast