Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By Romeolo888
  • 1 Post By moo_2002

UK Xbox live account on HK Xbox 360 - help!

Closed Thread

UK Xbox live account on HK Xbox 360 - help!

I have an Xbox at at home in the UK and I have recently bought an Xbox in HK. I am currently using my UK Xbox username in HK without any problems but I want to buy Xbox live - how should I go about doing this?

If I buy a 12 month Xbox live card in HK will it work on my HK Xbox with my UK username?

Alternatively, I'm currently in the UK for Christmas, so if I buy a UK xbox live account and register it with my console in the UK, will my HK xbox have xbox live when I get back to HK?

Wow, that all sounds very confusing but if someone could help me I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.

as the xbox 360 resident expert jared, he will tell u the facts about this

dave_van_damn likes this.

I know the Playstation network has a huge issue with this, but not sure about XBox. I would assume that you would need a local account here because of local copyrights and rules, though.

you can only buy the xboxlive from where your username is registered. my name is reg in UK, i tried to use HK xbox live, but couldn't so had to register online and pay with UK pounds.

Unless you wanna start an asian account, then you must pay in pounds.

Same with microsoft points to. Don't buy in HK, buy on a UK shop that offers email codes to you.

Good luck.

i brought my UK live account over when i moved to HK from London - it works fine here... you don't need to buy those prepurchased cards - can just subscribe online when you connect your console to the internet...
    if you want it cheaper, then there are some websites that offer those prepaid cards online and will email you the code (as Romeo says), if you want the extra hassle...

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll buy a code online. A lot of websites are suggesting expats sign-up to a new account in their new country but I don't really see the advantage. Is it something to do with buying extra content and xbox points?

Quote Originally Posted by dave_van_damn:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll buy a code online. A lot of websites are suggesting expats sign-up to a new account in their new country but I don't really see the advantage. Is it something to do with buying extra content and xbox points?
    Jared is the expert on this but my experience in the UK with an Aussie account was that I had to setup a UK account to be able to download DLC. Best to get a proper answer from Jared though, he will definitely know the pros and cons.

Local HK codes do not work in UK accounts and neither do the MS Point codes. You will need to buy them off a UK retailer or seller. Be careful with that as lately I have seen many reports of accounts getting banned or locked as the codes used were bought with stolen credit cards.

I am not sure if UK Amazon sells electronic/instant codes but if they do buy it off them or use your CC and buy it off Microsoft via your gamertag. I also advise you to remove the CC after your transaction is complete. I buy all my MSP & 12 month cards of Amazon US as I have a US account. They email me the codes immediately after purchase.

If you need DLC, set up a free silver HK account and buy local MSP for your purchases. All the accounts on the console you download the DLC on can use the DLC.

Last edited by JaredHK; 15-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.