Like Tree2Likes

Free Now HD Decoder

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Free Now HD Decoder

I knew this was going to happen, eventually.

Now TV have sent me a letter informing me I can exchange my Standard Definition (SD) decoder for a High Definition (HD) decoder box for free!

I only subscribe to one channel (MTV, which is SD)

Woohoo! (I haven't switched on my decoder for months, but free is free!)

If you're a Now TV customer with an SD decoder, perhaps you can call them and request an exchange too.

Funny that the FAQs say this:

What will happen if I don’t exchange my old decoder for a new one?
    Please make sure to exchange your existing now TV decoder for a new model by December 31, 2012, as some channels or interactive functions may not run normally after that date.
    I haven't received any such letter. I wonder if those areas that can't receive HD (eg my building only gets a max of 8M Netvigator) can still use the new box?

An 8Mbit/s connection is fine for HD.

When I hed inquired before, they told me that it wouldn't be good enough for HD and internet simultaneously and I would have to get another DSL line installed to cope.

The box may be HD, but not all channels are HD. You may need to pay more for HD content.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sxc:
    When I hed inquired before, they told me that it wouldn't be good enough for HD and internet simultaneously and I would have to get another DSL line installed to cope.
    I live in the villages in clear water bay, the max connection speed we can have is 6M, our set up is HD box and a separate box for the Internet, both from PCCW so it should be fine for you also.

I think it's almost a case-by-case basis, my mate who lives in a walkup with an 8M line was told by PCCW he can have the HD box but NOT any HD content

As you'll recall, I have PCCW 1000M, so I'm fine thanks for asking

They are phasing out the old decoders for this one. I got the same letter and so did many of my buddies in the area. Most of us only subscribe to 1-2 news channels.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I live in the villages in clear water bay, the max connection speed we can have is 6M, our set up is HD box and a separate box for the Internet, both from PCCW so it should be fine for you also.
    When you say separate box do you mean you have a modem for internet, a modem for HD box, as well as the HD set top box? Or you have a modem for internet which the set top box is also connected to?

I was told I would need 2 x modems, plus the HD set top box.

good question SXC, I cant remember now if i have 3 boxes or 4 boxes as PCCW also gave me a free Wireless router. dammit will have to respond to you later after verifying what kind of set up i have.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast