Import DVD and Bluray from Amazon.com

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    wow, there isn't regional coding on PS3? Owned the thing since the month they came out and never knew that. The PS2 drove us nuts with that, we bought it while in NZ for 10 months and then took it back to UK to find it was pretty much useless because nothing would play on it. Just assumed PS3 would be the same
    There is regional restriction for Blurays and DVDs on PS3 though. HK or US region Blurays won't work on a UK model for instance.

wow, there isn't regional coding on PS3? Owned the thing since the month they came out and never knew that. The PS2 drove us nuts with that, we bought it while in NZ for 10 months and then took it back to UK to find it was pretty much useless because nothing would play on it. Just assumed PS3 would be the same

Edit, OK, so checked it out and yes games are region free, DVDs are region locked though. Wish they would just sort this whole region lock / DRM rubbish out. Drives my husband nuts trying to work out which machine will play which DVD because we have lived in a few countries.
    There are hack codes online for most/all dvd players to make them multi-region. That's what I did with mine.

Edit, OK, so checked it out and yes games are region free, DVDs are region locked though. Wish they would just sort this whole region lock / DRM rubbish out. Drives my husband nuts trying to work out which machine will play which DVD because we have lived in a few countries.
    ps2 can be easily modified to play all regions as well, i have had 3 japanese ps2 and played pal, us, korea, hk and every ps2/ps1 games, also, note, a lot of pal uk games are inferior to their japanese/us counterpart, thick black borders and slower game play /frame rate (60 fps vs 50fps) hence, why i have been a big importer ofr games for last 25 years

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    There are hack codes online for most/all dvd players to make them multi-region. That's what I did with mine.
    you can easily get a decent dvd player modified to play all regions, just don't go to fortress or broadway, independent places such as CCAV in mk have many dvd players which play all region, bluray is different, better if you get a bluray/dvd player in HK, plays us, japanese and hk bluray while your ps3 plays uk bluray

For movies (or tv series), if you got a multi-system blu-ray/dvd player (common in HK), what regional coding that blu-ray/dvd has isn't an issue.

The key is what sort of DVDs do you intend to import to HK from Amazon? I've bought specialty DVDs on Amazon frequently and there has been no issue about them selling to HK. The only potential issue is if you buy, not directly from Amazon, but through the second-hand sellers on Amazon, they might have regional restrictions which prevents them from selling their items to your area of the world.