Like Tree6Likes

Small box media player with HDMI for TV

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small box media player with HDMI for TV

Can anybody recommend a small and simple to use media player for the TV that doesn't need hacking or fiddling with the firmware or converting all the files to some Apple format first? It's for the whole family to use. Bonus points if it has a remote control and audio through HDMI cable

apple tv

If I would start typing what Apple TV cannot do I'd still be here typing tomorrow (especially on my phone like now).

AppleTV cannot play my media from a USB stick or SD card for starters.

If you already have a PS3, it can serve this function. I was all set to build an HTPC when I ran into PS3 Media Server, a program that runs on your media server (duh!). So far it's played everything I've thrown at it (including some 1080p MKVs) so I'm pretty happy with it.

Please disregard if you don't already have a PS3!

100LL and imparanoic like this.

I think almost any currently available media player will fit the bill!

100LL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    I think almost any currently available media player will fit the bill!
    Except AppleTV ;-)

I have looked at a few options in Sham Shui Po, but it's difficult to know which one plays which file and which one sucks and which one is good. And since I bought a cheapo Tenda router once (which had nice package and sucked firemware and stability wise) I don't want to buy by just looking at the package, even for cheap products.

And if I start googling this, there are a quadrillion of devices and opinions. It would take me days to go to SSP, see what players they have, and then start researching them and reading reviews for each and every one. That's why I am asking our pros here at GeoExpat I just want a darn easy to use media player that plays photos and home made movies from all the things we all use today (phones, digital cameras, etc).

I will look at the Western Digital stuff. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to get some user feedback. If it plays online files (cartoons from back home) even better.
    Last edited by 100LL; 27-04-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Second the WD Live Media Hub, search this forum for a thread about the player I started six months ago or so. A friend picked one up in City Plaza recently for half the price I bought mine for at the Wanchai Computer. I'll find out where and post later.

what is your budget, HK$2000 or HK$400?>

cheap end smart candy, 1ghz cpu, andriod media hdmi stick, has sd card, and requires a simple mouse, can't really handle 1080p ( jerky), but 720p silky smooth, plenty of apps, can decode 720p video, but at HK$350, it's cheap and has wifi,

HK$2000, ps3 is a good way of doing dsnl, has bluray, can stream from your pc, mobile phone, network drive, you can get a dedicated remote, has up to 500 gb hdd, older used models as cheap as a HK$1000 ( with smaller hdd, but you can use any 2.5"hdd to upgrade and has slot in bluray/dvd), but new 500gb is only HK$2380 or 250gb for 2180

HK$ 1000, wd live, has more codec support

or sony xperia phone with mhl, you can control phone, acess media, play movies/mp with tv remote ( any cec compatible tv which most tv from 2010 are), download hd content and stream from your pc, newwork drive to phone via tv, i am using xperia tx with mhl dock and it's wicked, there is a lot of cheap older phones with mhl can be mirrored on tv via cheap adaptor(, but only sony xperia are reported to be cec compatible)

Bugger, I gave one of these away on the other site last week and would have preferred to give it to someone here!

Not sure if they are still made- the unfortunately named Hi Media Vibe 358S. Pretty cheap, no firmware hacking needed to play a wide range of media files (including ripped DVD ISOs) from a network share/USB stick. Fugly but workable UI with a remote control.

I look at the manufacturers websites from the stuff listed on price.com.hk (those that have English sites at least) Lots of choice, even in the sub $500 category.

I am in the hunt for a replacement for my ATV2 also.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast