Like Tree11Likes

SEG electronics mall? Shenzhen

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

seg is interesting, few fakes, a lot of components both oem and third party,

I doubt he is looking to buy electronic components.. If he does, at least I provide some information. Why is my answer retarded? Most of the stuff you bought are Shanzai products. They won't last long. I bought one webcam 4 years ago there. The lady told me it was 8MP.. yeah right LOL. bought one surge protector.. cracked open after several months use.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Unless the OP is looking for electronic components at wholesale prices right?

Quite a retarded answer that was to the OP.....quite retarded. Did you go looking for clothes?

exhibit a.
    I doubt he is looking to buy electronic components..
    You base this doubt on his interest in visiting the electronics market?

Why is my answer retarded?
    see exhibit a.

That area is called Huaqiang North. SEG is just one building. Manhattan, Sundan etc.. Yuanwang is for fixing phones. lot cheaper to replace phone screen than service centers in HK

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    There is more then one building - it's the whole area. Some buildings are gadgets, others PC stuff, some are industrial components, some are industrial small equipment, call phone stuff etc.....

If you are into technical stuff it's certainly worth a visit.

This said, nowadays I rather buy on Taobao, even cheaper.

I believe most people there just want to check out gadgets, not to buy diodes, capacitors to build stuff.

exhibit a.

You base this doubt on his interest in visiting the electronics market?

see exhibit a.

A lot of bad info on this thread . . .

I was a regular at the SSP, Wan Chai and to a lesser degree 298 and Mongkok computer malls and believe me, nothing compares to the electronics district - it's a bunch of malls, not just the SEG Electronics market - on the Huaquiang Bei Lu strip.

Put together the HKG computer/electronics malls I listed above and they *might* fill a few of the nine floors of the main SEG electronics mall.

Just north and on the same side of the street as the SEG Electronics market is the SEG Communications market. It's an entire mall roughly the size of Golden Aracade in SSP dedicated to phone and tablet stuff. For accessories (cables, chargers, covers and such) prices are practically give-away.

On the west side of the Huaquiang Bei Lu are malls with LED lights, photography equipment and computer bits and pieces I can't even identify.

I've been to the district at least a dozen times and I am still overwhelmed at the vastness of the place and amazed at the things you can find there . . . and occasionally the things you can't find there (i.e. canned air and monitor wipes are in short supply. Weird).

Having sung the praises of Huaqiang Bei Lu, I will say that its vastness is also a big negative. You have to wade through a lot of shit and walk though lots of shops and stalls to find "the good stuff." And if you ever want to find a favorite shop again, be sure to pick up a business card and make notes on it - otherwise that shop will just disappear into the sea of thousands of shops you encounter.

Check this link for a overview of the area.

Last edited by huja; 23-08-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    INXS and penguinsix like this.

huja's answer is on the spot. I go up there regularly not only for my own hacker/maker needs but also to gauge what sort of new things are coming out and prices that are being offered. If you have any interest in electronics you simply MUST GO just for the experience of walking through the stalls and seeing the amazing selection of items. If you are a maker or a hacker you should go to pick up some stuff easily without the hassle of Taobao or RS. You'll see things in the stalls next to the ones you are looking for and start 'impulse buying' a few new items that you'll find interesting.

The Hong Kong Hackerspace / Dim Sum Labs have a Google Map of many places in Hong Kong and Shenzhen worth checking out.

http://goo.gl/maps/8zjMn

More about DSL / Hackjam (who sometimes arranges 'road trips' for their members up to Shenzhen to show them around).

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/techno...s-tinker-alike

INXS and huja like this.

Once you've been to SEG and/or the similar places in SZ, like me, you will want to puke on the usual, "Apliu Gai", response in Hong Kong......Apliu Gai is a piece of crap.
    Okay then, so what your clever answer to people who want to browse simple electronic gadgets, without getting a visa and then spending an entire day in China?
    Last edited by jgl; 23-08-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Okay then, so what your clever answer to people who want to browse simple electronic gadgets, without getting a visa and then spending an entire day in China?
    First of all, I'm speaking to this guy...

SEG electronics mall? Shenzhen
    Anybody been there? I have heard its the "largest" in the world and I would like to see it. Any info would be appreciated.
    Secondly, you've set all the ground rules in your question haven't you? Many of us have Chinese visas and getting to Shenzhen is easy and cheap.

I'm not referring to 'browsing', I'm referring to specific wants....often on this site somebody will say they want some electronic doodah, a cable or whatever, and the pat answer will be Apliu Gai aka go look for a needle in haystack while rubbing shoulders with all the local junkie scum....it's like sending people to the Ladies Market if they want to know where to buy clothes.

Once you've been to SEG and/or the similar places in SZ, like me, you will want to puke on the usual, "Apliu Gai", response in Hong Kong......Apliu Gai is a piece of crap."
    Yes, I am setting the ground rules in my question. Because we pull out this standard answer for people who want a single thing like a battery, camera part or hardware and are unlikely to want to secure a visa then spend a whole day blundering around in China.

Q: Where can I buy a cable?
    A: Go to China! Hong Kong makes me want to puke!

Not everyone is prepared to pay for a visa (I'd say that most people who have to ask where to buy things don't already have China visas) then blow a day in a taxing environment to save a couple of hundred hong kong dollars and for the warm fuzzy glow of appearing to be a smug in-the-know git on an internet forum.

If I can't find something locally, I'd personally prefer to order it online. I'd go across the border for a casual browse, not to save a couple of hundred bucks.
    Last edited by jgl; 23-08-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Gruntfuttock likes this.