Cutting the Cord

Cutting the Cord

Hello,

My Cable TV contract is ending in 2 months time and as the saying goes I will be "cutting the cord". I would like to reach out to the Geo Expat community to see if anyone can share any experiences on how their home entertainment is set up. I currently have a NAS and will have a Smart TV in the next few months. I also have the basics of an internet connection (wired and wireless).

I am thinking of getting my content on-line (downloading or streaming) and through terrestrial TV (TVB, ATV etc.). What I am trying to do is actually pay for the things I really watch without having to sign up for all these other channels which I never watch and get tied to a long term contract.

Any feedback or input would be greatly appreciated.

What is it that you really want to watch? Movies? Live sport? Financial market analysis? or what?

I've just signed up for HKBN as the first stage of ditching Netvigator and NOWTV, so I'm going through a similar process, although I don't really watch much except live rugby and some cricket.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 03-02-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Kids channel, documentaries (like National Geographic etc.) and live sports. Things like movies etc. I can get on-line. I really not interested in signing up to any cable providers (Now, HKBN, Cable TV etc.). Thoughts?

Well you need some sort of internet connection, and HKBN has an offer until the end of this month of no commitment $188/month 100Mb/s (+$380 one-time installation) which seems like a bargain to me, so that's what I'm getting.

No idea about kids channels; Nat Geo (plus a few free news channels, and a load of Chinese channels) would be an extra $58 with HKBN; for sport I think it depends a bit on which sports. In this post lazyexpat offered to put people in contact with someone who can supply the same sports feeds as Trafalgar (which has always managed to find everything I want).

Kids channels and NatGeo are included with UKTV HK (with the top price package US$35/month). Only sport is what's shown on BBC1/BBC 2/ITV/C4/five/ITV2/BBC3 etc though so decent for some sports (cricket usually, some rugby, some football, golf, snooker, Olympics etc) but depends which games/matches Sky have bought sole rights to. I'm happy as at least I'll be able to get live Tour de France with it.

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like the UKTV solution is PC based and I am looking for something I can watch on my big screen TV...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Well you need some sort of internet connection, and HKBN has an offer until the end of this month of no commitment $188/month 100Mb/s (+$380 one-time installation) which seems like a bargain to me, so that's what I'm getting.
    Ah - well it would be, except that although HKBN has "coverage" of my building they don't apparently have any spare capacity despite only connecting up the building within the last 4 months (which sounds like a bit of a dimensioning cockup to me). And they can't give me any idea when they might have more capacity.

So I'm back wondering whether to just keep sucking up Netvigator's $338/month (out of commitment) or to once again try i-cable (on the grounds of cheapness, despite the service sucking when I last tried them about 10 years ago)...

Quote Originally Posted by nykolas:
    Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like the UKTV solution is PC based and I am looking for something I can watch on my big screen TV...
    No, that's incorrect. You plug it directly into your TV (although you do need an internet connection). Perhaps you're getting it confused with various other products on the market. This is UKTV HK (as I wrote in my previous post).

http://www.uktvhongkong.com/