Like Tree70Likes

Rainy days - Video game suggestions for 5 year old

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rainy days - Video game suggestions for 5 year old

ideal video game as entertainment for kids and under 5 years old, I believe it's ok for kids to play video games in moderation and ideal for rainy days where it's best to stay indoors, I will also have friends with kids coming to my place,

what games would you recommend? it doesn't have to be current generation or next generation either ( ie, ps4, xb1, ps3 or x360m wii, etc)

if it's simultaneous multiplayer, that's better, but taking it turns is ok, if's educational that's even better (please don't recommend adult themed games which tends to be violent in nature), if it involves physical exercise, that's also a bonus

Try Sesame Street:

Games - Sesame Street

imparanoic likes this.

No educational value - but some of the Mario and Sports games on the Wii are a lot of fun... as long as they strap the controller firmly.

At 5 years I would kick them out into the rain with a ball. Nothing wrong with rain! It's not cold in HK. Let kids be kids and play and interact socially not via a stupid game. They are time wasters enough for adults let alone kids.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    At 5 years I would kick them out into the rain with a ball. Nothing wrong with rain! It's not cold in HK. Let kids be kids and play and interact socially not via a stupid game. They are time wasters enough for adults let alone kids.
    getting wet in the rain a chance of them catching a cold due to the air conditioning in hk building does not seem a great idea, even a few minutes of wet cloths and chilly like conditions of excessive air con may result a child catching a cold
    Last edited by imparanoic; 06-08-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    Ask Dr. Dave: Can You Catch a Cold From the Rain? | TakePart

really? higher chances that virus can spread easier in colder environment ( ie, excessive air con), thus, it's possible

Ask Dr. Dave: Can You Catch a Cold From the Rain? | TakePart

"In studies where researchers have dropped healthy twentysomethings into sub-freezing temperatures for over an hour in just their undies, they really were more likely to catch a cold...if exposed to a cold virus. How? Seems that in the freezing cold weather, circulating blood preferentially keeps your core warm and your extremities stay cold. So your first line of defense against the rhinovirus, your 98.6 degree-ness, is down"

:"The reality is that all three of the above probably contribute to your getting the common cold. My advice? Don’t spend time in sub-freezing temperatures in your undies, no matter how great an idea it seems at the time"
    hongkong7 likes this.

How about some good old fashioned board games? There's a wide variety available to choose from : Pictionary, Scrabble, Snakes & Ladders, Game of Life, Monopoly etc etc

I hike for hours in the rain in HK, in a pair of shorts and tshirt. I carry a light jacket just for use in the MTR or bus on the way home. No big deal. Most kids love water and jumping in puddles and stuff. It's sad they can't get out in HK and have fun. But for the overprotective parents the board game idea is also good.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GeoClicks mobile app

imparanoic and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    How about some good old fashioned board games? There's a wide variety available to choose from : Pictionary, Scrabble, Snakes & Ladders, Game of Life, Monopoly etc etc
    Not for under fives. My experience with that age group is that even board games supposedly designed for them, which the ones you list aren't, it usually ends in tears in the excitement of having friends over. Best left for family time.

I recommend the kinect games. Kids that age love the movement required - kinectimals, sports, dancing / singing.

Of course, making up a batch of play dough is an excellent tactile activity on a rainy day too. Mix and match.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 06-08-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Give them a tub of Lego and their imagination do the rest.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast