Like Tree28Likes

Netflix HK launch 2016

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

and chill?

wayland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Obviously not a fan of censorship, still, I am curious. What kind of "uncensored" movies do you plan to watch?
    I cancelled my NowTV subscription after it pixellated out the cleavage of a bride walking up the aisle. That kind of censorship.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I can assure you, a recent show I watched on HBO Now called "Hard Knocks", would be reduced from its normal 60 minute episodes to about 15 minutes, in Singapore.

Hard Knocks | HBO Sports Goes Inside the NFL
    Who knew Singapore has this thing against (American) football?

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Obviously not a fan of censorship, still, I am curious. What kind of "uncensored" movies do you plan to watch?
    If Netflix gets stuck with Singapore censorship rules, they probably won't be able to show any of "Orange is the New Black" which Netflix reported was its most watched program last year. Its main character is a bisexual woman and about 1/3 of the other characters are lesbians.

Orange Is the New Black (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb

it's possible that older tv with proprietary smart tv os (let's say from 3-4 years ago )may not issue netflix app on their smart tv due to proprietary os and cease support, safer to say that newer tv or set top boxes will definitely have netflix app support

would you consider a new tv or set top box or even using your phone/tablet (it's a but of hassle though) to receive netflix

Interesting piece in EJ Insight:

Will Netflix and LeTV have a smooth ride into HK?

Namely:

"There is a grey zone in the legal and regulatory framework that could be used to checkmate firms that ride on new technologies, as we’ve seen in the case of car-hailing service provider Uber.

Hong Kong government has been taking “extra care” of the local free television market, citing the need to protect the industry from unreasonable competition.

Such attitude led authorities to deny a free-to-air TV license to Ricky Wong’s Hong Kong Television Network two years ago.

Now, as two foreign firms are seeking to make a high-profile entry into the market, it remains to be seen if the government will put roadblocks in their way.

Will authorities argue that new players offering internet-based services constitute unfair competition for TV license holders, and thus need to be checked?

Or will the government put the interests of consumers and the overall development of the market above all else, even if it means hurting broadcast licensees such as TVB, Now TV and i-Cable?"

I'm guessing the vested interests are going to try and kick up a fuss. However I think in this case if the government even looks as though its going to buckle under the pressure of the vested interests it will have all hell to pay.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    it's possible that older tv with proprietary smart tv os (let's say from 3-4 years ago )may not issue netflix app on their smart tv due to proprietary os and cease support, safer to say that newer tv or set top boxes will definitely have netflix app support

would you consider a new tv or set top box or even using your phone/tablet (it's a but of hassle though) to receive netflix
    All you need is a $300 google chromecast to run netflix on any dumb TV with a HDMI port
    imparanoic and Enderman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    All you need is a $300 google chromecast to run netflix on any dumb TV with a HDMI port
    Yes, you can, a bit of hassle of syncing each time, plus wifi and video playback on phone will use quite a bit of battery, great for occasional users, not ideal for daily users

Or seldom users, better if you use a hkd50/60 mhl wired adapter for phones, some 2012 flagship phones can use it as well, plus in Sony xperia phones with a cec compatible mhl adapter, u can even use TV remote to control the phone and channels

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    Yes, you can, a bit of hassle of syncing each time, plus wifi and video playback on phone will use quite a bit of battery, great for occasional users, not ideal for daily users

Or seldom users, better if you use a hkd50/60 mhl wired adapter for phones, some 2012 flagship phones can use it as well, plus in Sony xperia phones with a cec compatible mhl adapter, u can even use TV remote to control the phone and channels
    Or get the fire or roku stick. Foresoon sells the Fire Stick for HK$500, you could probably get it cheaper from other sources: Amazon Fire TV Stick USB HDMI Dongle Wifi [FIVETVS] - HK$499.00 : Foresoon Computer Accessories Mobile Market Online Cloud Shop 科訊電腦網購雲上店
    imparanoic likes this.

Sony BDP-S5200 - DVD播放機 - 影視 - 影音 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

How about this, for less than hkd 1000, a Sony bluray player, plays dvd all region, streaming, hktv, netflix, YouTube, allows to use your phone or tablet as keyboard interface, mirror your phone (better Then Google chromecast), plays all major codec, even allow you to plug in hdd and play all your mkv in full HD, mp3, divx, mp4, wmv, allows every thing what a 2nd generation apple TV can do, but for Android, even window 8 phone (streaming wise)

Even remote to control everything, only disadvantage. The actual machine don't have display
    mobtrio and shri like this.