Can I use my Japanese smart TV in Hong Kong?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I honestly think the 60/50 Hz argument does not apply to modern digital electronics anymore.

A couple of decades ago, perhaps the mains frequency was used to run some analog circuits for timing / oscillators. Now, I think the first thing that happens in almost any electronic gear is that the AC voltage is stepped down to a pure DC current. Exceptions I can theoretically think of might be radios / clocks and perhaps some amplifiers. But even that I strongly doubt.

I good repair guy might even be able to take the power unit out of your TV and replace with a local / universal one.

(Usual disclaimers apply .. its been close to 30 years since I've looked at circuitry. Fry your gear at your own risk..)

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I honestly think the 60/50 Hz argument does not apply to modern digital electronics anymore.

A couple of decades ago, perhaps the mains frequency was used to run some analog circuits for timing / oscillators. Now, I think the first thing that happens in almost any electronic gear is that the AC voltage is stepped down to a pure DC current. Exceptions I can theoretically think of might be radios / clocks and perhaps some amplifiers. But even that I strongly doubt.

I good repair guy might even be able to take the power unit out of your TV and replace with a local / universal one.

(Usual disclaimers apply .. its been close to 30 years since I've looked at circuitry. Fry your gear at your own risk..)
    Yes.. . You are right. Nothing is clocked off the mains frequency anymore. It was suboptimal even thirty years ago. Even when I was studying electro in engineering a timer chip was one of the cheapest and most basic IC's for circuit building. 555's anyone?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Yes, frequency isn't an issue either. I can't think of any modern electronic appliance that keys anything off the electricity frequency any more. Thirty years ago, maybe. Now, nope.
    I was thinking more about the power supply, e.g. a single frequency transformer will not handle different frequencies well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    I was thinking more about the power supply, e.g. a single frequency transformer will not handle different frequencies well.
    Transformers are essentially just loops of wire - it doesn't matter much if you push 50 or 60 Hz through them. There might be some small differences in max power output, but you should always leave some margin of error on that anyway. There will be tolerances engineered in to the transformer too, and it seems unlikely that any design engineer would make consumer grade devices that won't operate well at both 50 Hz and 60 Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Transformers are essentially just loops of wire - it doesn't matter much if you push 50 or 60 Hz through them. There might be some small differences in max power output, but you should always leave some margin of error on that anyway. There will be tolerances engineered in to the transformer too, and it seems unlikely that any design engineer would make consumer grade devices that won't operate well at both 50 Hz and 60 Hz.
    Well, seems you know everything so I'll give up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3