Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JaredHK

XBOX 360 Repair After Botched Update?

Closed Thread

XBOX 360 Repair After Botched Update?

So, I have this modded XBOX 360 with like 100+ games in a hard drive that my friend gave me. I think he got it in Shanghai. It's great, but I got greedy and bought a newer game (the tomb raider sequel) which required a system update.
    I went to a shop called V Game in Golden Computer Arcade for the update, which they installed, but now tomb raider is all glitchy with weird flashing lines all over the place, and the other games on the hard drive either won't start or are super glitchy too.
    I took the machine back to the shop and the guys said they would look at it, but they just called and said nope, there's nothing wrong with it (though there clearly is).
    At this point I just want to recover the games on the hard drive, though being able to play tomb raider would be nice. Any suggestions on who else to take it to, or how to handle the guys at the shop?

Since this is modded/flashed, there is a good chance that the update could have also blacklisted the console and all content on the HDD. MSFT wont fix it and might permaban your account as well.

Is the content purchased with your gamertag? If so you can redownload it all from the download history.If its been obtained illegally via credit card fraud which is how most of those HDDS with Xbox Games are filled up, its probably been blacklisted.

FYI all those shops in Golden except for Prowell and Star Star are owned by a group of triads and are scam artists so be careful when dealing with them.

Boringtime likes this.

Hey thanks for the info. As it happens, I went back to the shop last night after they called and said there was nothing wrong, and they let me test all the games that had stopped working after they had it the first time. Turns out it was all working fine! I played it a bit at home and so far so good. Don't know what happened, and I'm not asking questions.
    As for the account and getting blocked and whatnot, this machine never goes online so I don't think that's a worry. It's just some secondhand thing my friend gave me before he left HK, and he got it pre-loaded with all these games at some dodgy place in Shanghai, to be used solely as a standalone system.
    This all started when I bought a new copy of Rise of Tomb Raider at Oriental 188 mall, which required the update. Now that seems to be working and the games on the hard drive appear ok so I'm just going to back away slowly.
    Great tip on Prowell and Star Star, though. I'll remember that. Thanks again.