Like Tree17Likes

Buying a playstation

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Buying a playstation

A couple of dumb questions. Please forgive me, I'm not familiar with this market at all. A friend has asked me to price up (and then buy) a Playstation 4 for them. If it matters, this will be taken to Turkey and will be used there.

1) Are prices around town pretty much fixed and in a narrow price range or do they vary a lot?

2) I recall there was discussions of regions and such in the old days. Is that still the case? Are there different type of play stations for sale here? Any particular types better than others?

3) Suggestions on where to buy the latest and greatest model.

Ps4 really has only model (has very minor revision)

New 500 gb, around hkd2780
    Used 500 gb around hkd2200

Note though the games are NOT region coded, the bluray are region coded, A - Hk /jp /us

B - Europe, Australia

C - Russia, China Africa

New playstation 4.5/4k/Neo or whatever they call it is expected to be announced at E3 expo in a few weeks, or if not then at the Tokyo game show in September. Anyway there will be new upgrade with 4k support, slimmer, supports the new vr headset better (ps 4 owners need to buy some extra addon to support the headset whereas PS 4.5 will support it natively). So are you sure you want to buy the 4 now with the 4.5 just around the corner?

I was in SSP the other day, I'm pretty sure I was quoted 2480 or 2580 for a new one. About a month ago used prices were 1880-2000 for the 500gb.
    In Wanchai the prices for the new ones seem the same but used PS4's are a bit more expensive starting at around 2200hkd.

I don't know if those are official goods or parallel, some shops do offer the option with the parallel being cheaper but only having shop warranties which might not matter if you are taking it overseas anyway.

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    So are you sure you want to buy the 4 now with the 4.5 just around the corner?
    Its not for me so its not my concern really.

Personally, I dont like consoles one bit. I've been a PC gamer since the first days of gaming back in late 70s. Didnt like the consoles then and still dont like them now...

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    supports the new vr headset better (ps 4 owners need to buy some extra addon to support the headset whereas PS 4.5 will support it natively).
    That is not the case. The ps4k support will be better in terms of speed and power, so it will look better. There is nothing original owners of ps4 can buy to help with that. Both ps4/ ps4k buy the same psVR and plug it in. Ps4k just runs it better.

Avoid buying from any grey goods sellers as there are used and refurbs on the market being sold as new. When your pal calls in with a problem, Sony will not fix it for free as the warranty is void. Buy it off an authorized Sony retailer.
    If he uses it purely for gaming, there are no region locks of any sort.
    If he wants the newer version, he would need to wait a few weeks.

imparanoic and HowardCoombs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Avoid buying from any grey goods sellers as there are used and refurbs on the market being sold as new. When your pal calls in with a problem, Sony will not fix it for free as the warranty is void. Buy it off an authorized Sony retailer.
    If he uses it purely for gaming, there are no region locks of any sort.
    If he wants the newer version, he would need to wait a few weeks.
    CES announcement of vastly improved PS4? or Xbone?

Man...two days earlier and I would have given you mine.

I just promised it to our helper because I do not use it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Buy it off an authorized Sony retailer.
    Any particular one you like more than others? I dont know any so any pointers would be appreciated.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast