Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax

BBC iPlayer requires TV licence from September

Closed Thread

BBC iPlayer requires TV licence from September

iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September - BBC News

From what I read earlier you will have to be logged in to watch and having an account will require a valid TV licence number.

Few more details here.

I'm sure if the genuine cost to BBC is 150 million, they'd have arranged to make call backs to the licensing database to verify that the license is not a fake number (or autogenerated). The US providers seem to do this for premium channels via apps.

You would think they would offer an international license fee for anyone outside the UK, but no, they don't want the extra income I guess.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    You would think they would offer an international license fee for anyone outside the UK, but no, they don't want the extra income I guess.
    The BBC makes good money selling its programmes overseas; the international licence option would cut into that.
    shri likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Not sure how. Before the BBC issues any international consumer licences, they have to wait until their existing exclusivity rights are expired, during which they cannot sell any other exclusive rights.
    Either that or launch a very limited consumer offer that only has those programmes for which rights have not been sold exclusively elsewhere. Which means only the least popular programmes would be on offer and so no one would buy an international licence.
    And once you have all your content available via international licenses, the value of the rights drop because there is no exclusivity.
    Furthermore is easier to get international TV companies to pay for rights than to for individuals to pay for content.
    Last edited by greenmark; 02-08-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Exclamation BBC Iplayer

I have Roku device with iPlayer and Netflix etc on it. I am not using a VPN or smart DNS, yet for some reason I am able to access both iPlayer and itv Hub. How is this possible, I used to not (and still shouldn't) be able to watch BBC iPlayer without a VPN /Smart DNS. I have also tried on my laptop and can watch iPlayer on that (no VPN etc.) Very confused........