Like Tree5Likes

Recommendations for a new TV

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendations for a new TV

I'm looking to purchase a new TV and would like to see if anyone can recommend anything?

Around 32"-40"
    Used to play PS4 so need Full HD
    Watch Netflix (directly from a TV App preferably, no TV Box) so be able to connect to the internet
    Able to recognise and playback video files from my NAS

Doesn't need to be a major brand. Had a look at the LeTV offerings but not sure if that is good value for money.

Had you consider the Netflix offering is not great here in HK?

I would buy a 40" because 32" is too small imo and get an Apple TV. All new TVs are sufficient so the cheap one is ok too. Better if the remote is easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I'm looking to purchase a new TV and would like to see if anyone can recommend anything?

Around 32"-40"
    Used to play PS4 so need Full HD
    Watch Netflix (directly from a TV App preferably, no TV Box) so be able to connect to the internet
    Able to recognise and playback video files from my NAS

Doesn't need to be a major brand. Had a look at the LeTV offerings but not sure if that is good value for money.
    if you want to see how compatible the video files, bring a usb to a shop, try the video files on the TV, see how good the perform or if it can't play at all

Maybe sure to check a variety of file formats, including x265 encoded video

imparanoic likes this.

Also, you might want to check out Big Buck Bunny to find different versions of the same video, great for testing hardware

(free and legal btw)

https://peach.blender.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Had you consider the Netflix offering is not great here in HK?

I would buy a 40" because 32" is too small imo and get an Apple TV. All new TVs are sufficient so the cheap one is ok too. Better if the remote is easy to use.
    I already have a Netflix account that I am watching shows on. There is a decent number of shows on my to-watch list to last me for quite a while.

I'm looking at the smaller end of the size scale because of limited room and also because I will be sitting quite close to the TV.

Want to avoid getting a TV box if I can.

I have a Xiaomi TV in my other place in China but can't access a lot of the shows in HK and can't install Netflix on it.

I'm not to worried about the file format, pretty much all of my video files are in mp4 format.

Just looking to see if anyone has any recommendations on specific brands or models. Samsungs and LGs are probably great TVs but carry a larger price tag. Not sure if the extra price is worth it compared to the smaller brands.

I'd go for a a 4K TV which has netflix built in. They have some shows in 4K.

I have a Samsung smart TV and it works great with netflix, also Plex is awesome for accessing files on my Synology Nas. Plex has native app for LG, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba and Vizio TV's. Also Samsung TV can change region code quite easily with a secret code on remote control, for example change it to USA and get NBC, ABC, etc, or change to UK and get BBC, ITV etc, or change to Australia and get 7, 9, 10, ABC, etc. Add a smart DNS on top such as DNS4ME and I can watch TV from my home country, netflix, or plex for the files on my nas and all with just one TV and one remote control and no box.

I do have a UBTV android box for additional live channels and Kodi which is not supported natively on Samsung TV.

For 32 inch TV, I dont think 4K is really important. Even 40 inch is probably still a waste. I have a 55 inch 4K TV and I'm watching shows such as Luke Cage on netflix now in 4K, and then I watch something else in 1080p and maybe my eyes are shit but I honestly cannot tell much difference between 4K and 1080p.

shri, si0001 and Beuze like this.

If you are a bit into tech, why not buy a "dumb" TV (any Samsung HD TV of your preferred size would do) and also buy RaspberryPI 2, install OSMC on it and play almost anything you want? Probably will be way cheaper than a smart TV...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast