Like Tree14Likes

Amazon Echo usable in Hong Kong?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Amazon Echo usable in Hong Kong?

Does anyone have one of these things - and managed to get it to work in Hong Kong? Am thinking of getting one for xmas! The Amazon Echo dot also look like good presents for the family..

I have the Echo Dot connected to my A/V receiver. It give me news and weather briefings. It plays my music library and music I get access to as part of my Prime membership. It's more a toy than anything else at this point. Amazon is developing "Skills" for the Echo devices, which are like apps so I suspect the Echo and the whole Alexa-voice-activated thing will become more and more useful in the future. I don't have any smart devices connected to my Echo because I'm old-school and still walk to the wall to switch lights on and off rather than using some sort of smart device to control it.
    They're practically giving away the Echo right now. One non-Amazon store is selling three for $99US right now.
    If your expectations are of a novelty toy with the some potential for real usefulness in the future, it's worth the price. If you are expecting some sort of voice-controlled command central for your technology it's no that.

mlclau likes this.

bdw

Amazon US and UK had them on sale cyber Monday a week ago, I tried to order one but they would not deliver to HK. So I gave up.

Interesting. How easy is it to get it up and running? I hear that you need an amazon account and a US zip code? Would love to get these for the parents, but the learning curve might be a bit steep?

Also considering the Google Home!

Stayed over a friend's place in the US who had the Echo hooked up. Seems to work OK, need to repeat from time to time for things like light dimming and such.

If I were to get one, I'd get a set of the Hue lights too, then you can set intensity for the different rooms in the house. Then wifi plugs for plugs that you don't turn on all the time (like A/C, dehumidifier) assuming those appliances aren't 'smart.'

Quote Originally Posted by mlclau
    Does anyone have one of these things - and managed to get it to work in Hong Kong? Am thinking of getting one for xmas! The Amazon Echo dot also look like good presents for the family..

I have the Amazon Echo Dot and the Google Home, and prefer the latter. The Echo has been around longer and more 3rd party integration options (many only relevant in the US e.g. Domino's pizza) but it seems to have limited usability in HK. Haven't worked out to give it a HK address (requires US address in setup), so when I ask it for weather I get the forecast for Seattle. Google Home is much better in my way and with Google behind it (think Google Search) it has in my view more development potential.

@aublumberg - are you using some sort of smartdns / vpn to make it work in HK?

No VPN or SmartDNS needed for either device. It's not geo-blocked. It's just that the Echo in the mobile app config settings doesn't allow non-US locations.

shri likes this.

Took the plunge and ordered 3 Echo Dots from Amazon UK (there was a 20% discount if you order 3!). These will be my Christmas pressies to the family. App wise - to download the software, you can find the relevant apk file online via a google search. Curious to see how well it works!

Does anyone have any experience connecting this to the smart home (lights, etc)? The Philips hue things look cool - but they are very pricey. I wonder if there are cheaper China brand alternatives?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast