Like Tree3Likes

PS4 games, accounts and regions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question PS4 games, accounts and regions

Hi all.

I'm planning on getting a PS4 in the upcoming weeks but have a few questions. From my research it seems it is region free system but you have to buy dlc on an account of the games region. I've also seen debates as to which region has the better store.

It sounds as if the North America store has better selection and I do have an old PSN account from the early ps3 days. But I tend to prefer physical copies as games are so huge now and I don't want to download so much all the time.

Can you get North American region PS4 game discs here or just local versions?

Are downloaded games a common thing now? I looked at price website and I couldn't find grand theft Auto v for PS4 at all. Do most skip the physical copy now?

Do you have different accounts in multiple regions, or just one?

Thanks

Yes you can get NA PS4 region discs here but only at certain shops (No idea where but I have seen them around).
    Local region game discs are the majority though as most gamers usually play them and then sell the discs back to the sellers to resell as second hand.

One caveat though: If you get a PS4 HK Region Disc, you will only be able to download DLCs from the HK region only. Likewise for NA Region Disc, you will need a NA PSN Account.

Also to play multiplayer, you will need a PS Plus Account but you can use that to get free games per month. Also remember once you start your PS Plus subscription, you will have to continually pay for that subscription for that country even if you move to a different country (no country change allowed) unless you open a new PS Plus account.

GTA V according to Price HK is $218-320.
    Rockstar PS4 GTA5價格、規格及用家意見 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

I have a US PSN account in addition to my Asia Account but I can only access the free games there as I don't have a US credit card or US paypal account which sucks.

Games like TellTales Game of Thrones are not available on the PS Asia store.

I am interested in a PS4 or Xbox One S to play World of Tanks and The Division.

Which of the 2 consoles/networks gives you less grief, especially in multiplayer?

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out stores here to see how readily available North America region discs are and how they are priced. I still have access to my cc from out west.But if they have no dlc I'm interested in then no biggie getting local version (I'm assuming still full English dialog and not censored)

And thanks for the gta5 link, I was doing full name search and couldn't find it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongbaos:
    Thanks for the responses. I'll check out stores here to see how readily available North America region discs are and how they are priced. I still have access to my cc from out west.But if they have no dlc I'm interested in then no biggie getting local version (I'm assuming still full English dialog and not censored)

And thanks for the gta5 link, I was doing full name search and couldn't find it that way.
    Highly recommend you check the back of the disc to see whether it says ENGLISH/CHINESE for Games/Subtitle before purchasing

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    I am interested in a PS4 or Xbox One S to play World of Tanks and The Division.

Which of the 2 consoles/networks gives you less grief, especially in multiplayer?
    Xbox has a far better MP experience IMO when compared to PS4 especially with games like Division. GR: Wildlands etc.
    emx likes this.

PS3/4 Out Of Region accounts:
    If you are unfortunate enough to have your account hacked, you will not get it back as Sony will only recover stolen accounts if the account, console ID and IP match the region of the account.

US versions of games are not easily available in HK unless the local distributor decides to go with the US version as the official HK release.

Local HK releases can have canto voice only which is what happened with the recent COD with the MW Remaster.
    DLC is mostly universal these days except for a few titles. Besides if the local release is in English, I see no point in buying it from the US as its cheaper in the HK store.

Lately stores are not stocking too many copies of a game as sales are drastically down. Gamers are opting for the digital version as its available on launch and often cheaper than the stores.

I personally use US accounts as I am from the US and both my PS and Xbox accounts are launch accounts. I buy 90% of my games digital from the Xbox or PS store or Amazon. Amazon usually has good deals for US Prime members a few weeks after release and they send off the code via email. The other 10% I pick up locally..mostly used or new which is mostly impulse purchases.

emx likes this.

Thanks all. Good advice on what to look for.

As for downloading from PS store or Amazon... Aren't some these games huge? Like over 50gb big huge? If so I need to look closely at my home net plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongbaos:
    Thanks all. Good advice on what to look for.

As for downloading from PS store or Amazon... Aren't some these games huge? Like over 50gb big huge? If so I need to look closely at my home net plan.
    Usually 60GB for a AA list game.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast