Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

internet radio player / squeezebox alternative

Closed Thread

internet radio player / squeezebox alternative

After about 9 years my trusty squeezebox boom has packed it in. It was perfect, was able to connect to the squeezebox server and listen to my stored music, as well as connect to internet radio and listen to various radio stations round the world and on top of that had a display and its own independent remote (i.e. not having to rely on my mobile as the remote).

It seems all the new players are basically speakers with your phone as the remote, which is not really what I am after.

Any other alternatives out in HK (or the UK) which allows for connecting to radio stations round the world, as well as my own music and comes with its own remote.

There is lots of talk of Sonos these days, but I don't think they have a presence here. I could buy from the UK and bring over here, but am worried, due to its cost, if something goes wrong, it won't be cheap to arrange to fix.

Do you want a stand alone radio or an app on a tablet that can stream to the AV setup?

I looked at this, and it but did not end up buying as it does not seem to have stand alone Spotify support.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/123/thread343505.html

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Do you want a stand alone radio or an app on a tablet that can stream to the AV setup?

I looked at this, and it but did not end up buying as it does not seem to have stand alone Spotify support.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/123/thread343505.html
    Probably standalone.

My Pioneer AV (VSX 823) has some of these functions, as it has a LAN interface. I think it has Spotify and Airplay support, but I don't use either. It would have been nice to have chromecast support included. But you can manually add internet radio stations via a clunky web interface, which is a royal PITA. However, once done, you have a "favorites" menu so you can just choose your own stations. It's as simple then as hitting "power", then "network"...and it starts playing your last broadcast. You can also just browse the receiver's own internet radio selection, which is huge, but hard to search through. And sure, I think it can also play DLNA on its own, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

EDIT: Doesn't sound like it...but I'm actually rather happy with the device. It just needed some initial setup to make it work the way I wanted. But now it's really easy to choose between my 3-4 main radio stations.