Like Tree9Likes

Netflix / Fire Stick / Now TV etc.... VPN required?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong:
    Can someone confirm whether using Amazon Fire Stick in Hong Kong you can actually access the Netflix app.

I know Netflix is available in HK, but want to be sure I can actually install the app through Amazon Fire Stick here in HK.

The reason I ask is I found this Netflix post:

Maybe this an outdated post, but no way to tell as maddeningly Netflix doesn't date posts in its knowledge base.
    I think you'll still need to use some sort of DNS / VPN service to bypass Amazon's location detector. Once Amazon detects you're in the US/UK you can install netflix.

A bit non-trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I think you'll still need to use some sort of DNS / VPN service to bypass Amazon's location detector. Once Amazon detects you're in the US/UK you can install netflix.

A bit non-trivial.
    I wouldn't be surprised, though maybe someone who has jumped into this more recently can say for sure if still the case.

Logic usually goes out the window in the world of streaming, but it still seems odd if Netflix and Amazon Instant Video are both now available in HK.

Speaking of which, can anyone offer any insight into how good Amazon Instant Video's offering is in HK?

At the moment, am just looking for the simplest way for my wife to access Netflix's HK offering on the TV.

That said, I'm sure I can work out the DNS spoofing bit if need be.

Though, "a bit non-trivial" has me scratching my head and causing me to plumb the depths for memory of my old uni linguistics courses.

If it's "non-trivial" it's significant, but does the "bit" render it trivial again?

Yes and you can also set up the amazon firestick to access Prime videos. You need to pay for an unblock service like simpletelly... then it's very cheap and easy to setup the firestick to watch UK/US content.

I have a UK bought firestick which works great for Netflix and Prime.

Amazon Prime is crap in HK (at least if my experience is anything to go by!!) - virtually every program or film I select, apart from my purchases, it tells me it can't play due to "Geographical Licensing Restrictions". Problem is, I haven't found any way of filtering the available content for stuff that is watchable in HK.

Furthermore, if I use my VPN (ipVanish), it won't let me play anything at all as it detects the VPN/DNS usage!!

I should note that this is Amazon Prime on my laptop, iPad and on my (Samsung) Smart TV... don't know whether it is any different for firestick.

I use Amazon Prime (UK version) and it works flawlessly.

Subscribe to an unblock service. I pay $4USD/month.
    Enter the settings on your Amazon Fire Stick (or you can just setup the unblock service on your router).

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    I use Amazon Prime (UK version) and it works flawlessly.

Subscribe to an unblock service. I pay $4USD/month.
    Enter the settings on your Amazon Fire Stick (or you can just setup the unblock service on your router).
    Which service do you use?

I use simpletelly

jabalong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyC256:
    Hello!

I have recently moved to Hong Kong from the UK and am looking to sort out some tv options in my apartment!

I have a Netflix account which works fine on my laptop, and also an Amazon Fire Stick (left this at home but will get it posted if it works).

I just wanted to know if I had my fire stick posted here, would the netflix app work okay, and would kodi work without the need for a VPN?

I can stream things on my laptop and used HDMI to link to the TV, but it would be good to have it permanently connected by the fire stick if it works.

What do you guys do for TV over here?

I understand I can get a VPN for SkyGo which I may look at if the above wouldn't work...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Billy.
    I use Kodi on my usb fire stick here

So I picked up an Amazon Fire Stick in Sham Shui Po.

To answer my own question, I was able to access the Netflix app and get on that straightaway.

There's so much content now on Netflix's HK offering that I don't know that I'll even bother trying any of the other stuff.

That said, with the stick being Amazon-centric and Amazon Prime offering a free trial month, I'm curious.

I have a question though related to two earlier posts: one being that you can set up the DNS spoof on the stick; two being that Netflix brings up an error anytime it detects a DNS spoof.

So to those who have their DNS spoofed for say Amazon, does that not create a problem for using Netflix?

@jabalong - a couple of the DNS spoofers have a specific Netflix setting in their control panel which allows you to direct Netflix to HK and the rest of the services to US regions.

jabalong and David4Maths like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast