Like Tree51Likes

Are electrical goods really that cheap in Hong Kong?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I'm ready to buy a tv of some sort since the old one is about 15 years old now

Any trusted ones people are willing to recommend ?
    I dont like randomly picking ones from price.com.hk

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Keep it. I wouldn't buy a new one just because there is color TV now.

But if you insist.... If money doesn't matter go for OLED for the blackest black. Otherwise it's doesn't matter too much and I would go for something cheap, preferably from Samsung or LG, plus something with a nice slim design.
    shri and SpeakCantonese like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Otherwise it's doesn't matter too much and I would go for something cheap, preferably from Samsung or LG, plus something with a nice slim design.
    The wife is picking something reasonable...

I was hoping for a recommendation of a vendor/seller -- do you have a favorite one that is reliable and reasonable with pricing?

I was hoping for a recommendation of a vendor/seller -- do you have a favorite one that is reliable and reasonable with pricing?
    I do it usually in that sequence:

1. Chose model
    2. Check price on price .com.hk
    3. Check Fortress etc (after discount)
    4. Then most likely buy from one of those little stores on Price because it's a LOT cheaper
    HowardCoombs and bb555 like this.

The wife is picking something reasonable...

I don't think there's all that much difference- they hand over a box, and after the HK 7 day period or whatever it is, any issues you take up with the manufacturer as a warranty issue. It's not like you should rely on these stores for anything like product advice or recommendations anyway.
    imparanoic, HowardCoombs and bdw like this.

Yeah I would go for the cheapest price (the dealer product with the green icon rather than the grey market with the blue icon) as they are all basically the same. Also use the "Order through price" button on the website for a bit of extra protection and if something does go wrong they offer Mediation & arbitration services.

The only risk is if you order the blue icon grey market. There are some fantastic discounts here and I am tempted to do this sometimes, but probably not for a TV. Actually I picked up a google home grey market for $750 a few weeks ago rather than paying $950 for the dealer product. I've not had any issues with it so far.

HowardCoombs likes this.

Any trusted ones people are willing to recommend ?
    I dont like randomly picking ones from price.com.hk
    I agree with what @flameproof said with regards to OLED. i went to a sampling of the LG C7 OLED, Sony A1 OLED, Panasonic EZ1002 OLED , Samsung Q9 QLED & Sony ZD9 LED. The OLED had amazing black levels.

Between the OLED's there was such a small difference once calibrated. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference just looking at picture quality. The LED TV's were also very good but black levels lacked somewhat. I'd chose any of the above, whichever is cheaper. but i wanted OLED and so the LG OLED65C7 got my vote.

hi, I would like to weigh in on which shops to buy from. My suggestion is go to a mall with a few chain shops. Best one is to go to time square causeway bay. Then check broadway, fortress, AV life. Ask for net lowest price, including any freebies and coupons. Sometimes freebies are useful sometimes not. Coupons are supermarket coupons. Usually after you take this into account the price is similar or maybe even lower than price.com price. Also you can use credit card and delivery and installation included. These chain shops are more reputable compared to the ones at price.com in case you have any problems. I don’t often buy TVs but did recently at AV life.

bb555 and HowardCoombs like this.

@thk, just seen on the LG website that they have a supermarket coupon promotion right now. should help get that price down further

In fact TV here is more expensive, not only because of the high rent and high manpower cost, but also because manufacturers have to tailor-made specific HK models with the built-in digital tuner for HK

CarterTG and shsteve like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast