Like Tree51Likes

Are electrical goods really that cheap in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by james_hklocal:
    In fact TV here is more expensive, not only because of the high rent and high manpower cost, but also because manufacturers have to tailor-made specific HK models with the built-in digital tuner for HK
    And other consumer electronics? Why are they overpriced in HK?

It is probably a combination of Mainland VAT and high rents.

For the 40 million visitors to Hong Kong they should be getting things 17% cheaper than in China as there is no VAT in HK. So prices have crept up to a rate just below China who have VAT because of the 'Tycoon Tariff' that is applied to most goods.
    bb555 likes this.

I've purchased from:

http://www.sweethome128.com.hk/tv.htm - Only in Chinese

China Club AV
    10/F, Yau Shing Commercial Centre,
    51 Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Mongkok
    China Club Audio & Video

There are a few other shops in the same Yau Shing building which have been around quite a while and are reputable.

As other people mentioned, they generally all run the same business model - they take your order and your TV gets delivered direct to your home by the distributor.

East_coast and bb555 like this.

Also check the classified in HK. Lot of people are loaded in HK and change TV all the time. My mate bought a huge TV from some rich couple in mid-level for next to nothing. And it was brand new. Also expats leaving HK will try get rid of their stuff at cheap price.
    Shopwise, people said it. VAT is basically computing the rent into the price. You can get some good deals in Kowloon.

East_coast and bb555 like this.

My understanding is that almost all major goods (i.e. TVs, white goods, etc) are sold in a "showroom" sort of model--Fortress, Broadway, the random Mongkok guys you find on Price.com.hk ALL sell goods straight from the manufacturers warehouses--not their own. If you buy a Samsung TV it is delivered from the Samsung factory warehouse by Samsung delivery people and installed by Samsung technicians and supported / warranty service by Samsung technical staff. It makes no difference if you buy it at Fortress or on the second floor of Golden Computer Centre from a bunch of guys playing video games--the back end is the same, but the price is considerably different.

I ran into this when buying a Samsung TV from Fortress only to discover it for about 30% cheaper from a guy in Sham Shui Po. When we looked at the inventory availabilty at both shops it was the same stock and the Fortress guy laid it out to me how the product would be delivered/installed/serviced. I've seen similar with a few other large purchase items.

Anyway, fwiw I used HDlife.com.hk for my TV. Was fine. I use Builtinpro.hk for my white goods.

bb555, TheBrit and tpr007 like this.

well i've certainly learnt a few things from the thread. Especially with regards to shopping habits. thanks to all who have recommended the retailers. i'l be sure to check them out

If you must have the one you have listed out then most of the reply's below apply however the deal to had here is what are the possible alternatives to the one you want? In many instances last years range will be dropped quite a bit or if you hit local japan chain store such as Jusco or Apita they will offer competitive prices and on specific days theirs extra discounts on offer.

Sometimes you can get a good deal if its not a hyped product and you know how to negotiate. If you want to buy handheld devices I suggest using amazon

I think it is possible to buy cheap electronics in Hong Kong (compared to say UK, US, Aus), but they will be even cheaper in Shenzhen.

These do not include branded items like LG, Samsung, Apple etc which are similar price anywhere. But you will find some unknown names of electronic goods in places like Sham Shui Po.

As mentioned earlier, the best deals in HK are from buying slightly used stuff. There are many people that come and go in this city and plenty of items to be had cheap when they depart. Others feel the need to always have the newest gadgets. Many will only be less than a couple years old sometimes for half the price. There are also chinese made products that are decent and inexpensive like Xiaomi phones.

it's been a while since I commented on the thread.

So far I've used Price.com twice and haven't had any issues. For smallish purchases sub 5000HKD I have saved more than if i bought them on the high street here or the UK, it's been fun. I've explored some areas/malls that I probably wouldn't have known about in the process too.

Big Items i think you do pay more, especially in my case if your're looking for a specific model.

I've been on the look out for a particular hard drive which I've found 400HKD cheaper than the UK. I've also found a Sony projector which i was eyeing up for 2700HKD here and approx 4500 in the UK.

To conclude, some electronics can be cheaper.. just do your homework first!