Like Tree51Likes

Are electrical goods really that cheap in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bb555:
    I've been on the look out for a particular hard drive which I've found 400HKD cheaper than the UK. I've also found a Sony projector which i was eyeing up for 2700HKD here and approx 4500 in the UK.
    I get most of my hard drives from Sam in the Mongkok Computer Centre, order online so you know he has stock, then pay when you collect.

https://www.price.com.hk/starshop.php?s=3011&c=100016
    blueagles likes this.

Lately I've been in the market for home office gear and I'm struck by how much more expensive HK has become for electronic items. For example, a particular monitor goes for $4500 at Fortress or $4000 for the lowest listed price on price.hk (but no stock when you call). It's $350 on Amazon + $35 shipping to HK. I understand the issue of higher rents, but even when buying direct, a $450 MSRP HP U28 monitor is listed at HK$4799 from HP. How can all this be explained?

Quote Originally Posted by hksomewhere:
    Lately I've been in the market for home office gear and I'm struck by how much more expensive HK has become for electronic items. For example, a particular monitor goes for $4500 at Fortress or $4000 for the lowest listed price on price.hk (but no stock when you call). It's $350 on Amazon + $35 shipping to HK. I understand the issue of higher rents, but even when buying direct, a $450 MSRP HP U28 monitor is listed at HK$4799 from HP. How can all this be explained?
    Lots of middlemen...seems to affect the price of everything, not just electronics.

Don't buy from Fortress, it's overpriced

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Lots of middlemen...seems to affect the price of everything, not just electronics.
    But how to explain a 40% price differential between the same product sold directly by Dell/HP on their US site vs. HK site?

But how to explain a 40% price differential between the same product sold directly by Dell/HP on their US site vs. HK site?
    Here, we pay for the impeccable pre and after sales service provided by all the major brands.
    The complimentary back rubs aren't really free you know.
    shri likes this.

Because they price according to the market- if the market is paying 40 percent more they are going to charge 40 percent more...
    Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Because they price according to the market- if the market is paying 40 percent more they are going to charge 40 percent more...
    exactly, the answer is as simple as "because they can"

Fortress etc are like Dixons/ Curries etc (for those from the UK). They're essentially high street shops so that you won't get the best deals, but they will have big(ish) showrooms and products for you to demo. You buy from Price.com when you know exactly what model you want.

I've found that TVs and monitors are much cheaper in the US compared to HK. However the overall cost of large TVs seems to have dropped across the board, so that my last TV bought a couple of years ago was about 1/3 of the price of my old TV. So in the end, the absolute price difference (HK vs US) wasn't that great.

I've bought 30 something inch monitors from Amazon and they've arrived ok. Hard drives are generally cheaper from Amazon than even SSP/ MK etc.

TVs do seem really expensive here even compared to UK even inclusive of VAT and general rip off pricing.

I got a decent deal 18 months ago on a 4k monitor from Wan Chai computer centre (essentially equal to the US price) but yeah, supply and demand at the moment is very out of balance on all computer equipment. I wonder if the US is a bit more insulated from this for now due to larger inventories, especially on peripherals which stay current for much longer than laptops, processors etc.