Like Tree51Likes

Are electrical goods really that cheap in Hong Kong?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

TVs do seem really expensive here even compared to UK even inclusive of VAT and general rip off pricing.

I got a decent deal 18 months ago on a 4k monitor from Wan Chai computer centre (essentially equal to the US price) but yeah, supply and demand at the moment is very out of balance on all computer equipment. I wonder if the US is a bit more insulated from this for now due to larger inventories, especially on peripherals which stay current for much longer than laptops, processors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hksomewhere:
    But how to explain a 40% price differential between the same product sold directly by Dell/HP on their US site vs. HK site?
    monopoly/competition. there's 1 distributor in HK which controls a lot of trade versus in US, many national distributors competing. HK doesn't really favor competition, not really. But to be fair, it's not usual for a small geographical region to have too many distributors for the same type of goods. it's certainly a trade-off.

why I buy from Amazon UK ( some appliances for voltage reasons) or Amazon US (PCs, etc. have global voltage) and with or without shipping fees, I'm still saving hundreds of USD.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5