Like Tree10Likes

Echo and Google Home in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

@shri You wanted a review? This is probably the best I have seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng7Sti29S5k

I am thinking about buying a Google Home in the US and taking it to HK for my parents to listen to Google Play Music radio. I want to avoid paying for a subscription service, so Amazon Echo doesn't appear to be an option. I read that Google Play Music on Android phones will work in HK as long as the phone was connected in the US at least once. Using Google Home, has anyone had success getting Google Play Music radio to work in HK?

Anyone have any comments on using a UK purchased Google Home in HK?

It's on sale for £79 in the UK at present.

"Originally £129, now £79 each. Offer valid starting 15 November 2017

12am PT through 29 November 2017 11:59pm PT while supplies last. Offer

is non-transferable and not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Void

where prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, this offer cannot be

combined with other offers."

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Anyone have any comments on using a UK purchased Google Home in HK?

It's on sale for £79 in the UK at present.

"Originally £129, now £79 each. Offer valid starting 15 November 2017

12am PT through 29 November 2017 11:59pm PT while supplies last. Offer

is non-transferable and not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Void

where prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, this offer cannot be

combined with other offers."
    You can get them at many places in HK for HK$750, which is GBP 72. So why get from the UK?
    shri and irisboards like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pho008:
    I am thinking about buying a Google Home in the US and taking it to HK for my parents to listen to Google Play Music radio. I want to avoid paying for a subscription service, so Amazon Echo doesn't appear to be an option. I read that Google Play Music on Android phones will work in HK as long as the phone was connected in the US at least once. Using Google Home, has anyone had success getting Google Play Music radio to work in HK?
    My Google account has never been in the US.
    I can play music from my Google Play Music library as well as TuneIn & Spotify.

Google Play Music

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    My Google account has never been in the US.
    I can play music from my Google Play Music library as well as TuneIn & Spotify.
    I see. Do you have paid subscriptions to Google Play Music and Spotify?

In addition to your Google Play Music library, does the radio (by artist) function work as well?

I have one echo one dot in my apartment, there is no problem using it. The only thing is the default location can’t be changed to Hongkong, so we have to ask “Alexa, what is the weather today in HongKong?” Instead of “what’s the weather today?” All music playing and questions answering are fine. I bought a few dots as gift. They are so cheap, about $40usd each? A lot of fun for kids and useful for checking things like weather, time, calendar..

Quote Originally Posted by pho008:
    I see. Do you have paid subscriptions to Google Play Music and Spotify?

In addition to your Google Play Music library, does the radio (by artist) function work as well?
    I do not have paid subscriptions.

Not sure what radio function you are referring to...
    I can ask Spotify (free) to play music by Artist, but not by title

Awesome! With your free Spotify account, do you use as English or Cantonese to ask for a particular artist?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    You can get them at many places in HK for HK$750, which is GBP 72. So why get from the UK?
    Nevertheless, I ended up buying 2 Google Homes and 3 Google Minis in the Google Store UK black Friday sale; delivered in the UK; taken back to HK and very pleased with them.

Multi room audio works very nicely.

As well as listening to the usual array of UK radio stations whilst in HK (the only confusing part being time, traffic and weather reports (e.g. morning UK radio in an HK afternoon; or listening to traffic reports on the "North Circular and A40 West way in London" - and then remembering - "why should I care" etc.)
    Last edited by dossier; 19-01-2018 at 11:53 PM.