Like Tree10Likes

Echo and Google Home in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Echo and Google Home in Hong Kong

I've got my echo dot working with my raspberry pi controlling my xiaomi home automation gear!

I also use the dot for "rain sounds" while sleeping, setting alarms, some basic wikipedia queries now and then...

If anyone wants to offload an unused echo or google home...PM me!

I saw Echo and Dot for sale in Golden computer arcade. Echo works great for me. Slight interruptions (hiccups) on radio play (through TuneIn). Still trying to work out what skills are useful but mainly Spotify and radio.

Am thinking of gifting a youngster with this at Xmas. Any good/bad comments on it? Easy to set up and run in HK?

Thank you.

Echo Dot running in Hong Kong

Bought an Echo Dot at the Pioneer Centre 2nd Floor yesterday and the easiest way to set it up without problems is through the desktop and your mobile. My mobile ( Android 6 - wifi ), informed me after going to the web site, it was not available in this country.

On the desktop ( Win 10 - wired ) no such message and bing bong - all set up in a minute.

Now trying to make it understand it is not in Seattle!

It's now on HK time . Simple change on the app settings page.

@David4Maths - Would appreciate a mini review of sorts. Hoping to pick this or the Google Home device up over xmas. Thanks!

I won't be using it with traditional home auto but for Arduino and RPI projects. Downside - you seem to have to be signed up for the services it uses. IE Music won't work with the Spotify web player. You have to be a premium account holder. Boooooo!!!!

I have the Google AIY project kit ready to collect at the PO and will build that on an RPI to give me the Google Home when its working with Arduino. Going to be doing a lot of home projects with those on automation. Be glad to write up something next week ish but the Dot is simplicity itself as long as you do things logically and don't get sucked in to "fixing by Reddit".

I have both, Amazon Echo mini and Google Home (not mini)

* Volume/clarity - both are great, impressed by the small mini, of course the GHome wins as it's bigger here
    * Plugins with other apps - this depends what you want to do, for me, Ghome wins because it can access my Google Music, it also has spotify and heaps of other services too
    * Chromecast control - only google devices can do this, and it's great!
    * alarms/reminders/calendar - google wins here
    * location setting- you CANNOT tell Alexa you're in HK, so, whenever you ask "weather tomorrow", you need to say "weather in hong kong tomorrow" ... google you can tell it where you are and it remembers
    * integration with my home assistant (https://home-assistant.io/) google works better here
    * IFTTT - seems to have tighter integration with Alexa

throw your questions at me!

I just ordered the Amazon Echo Dot, (thanks for the info @shri ) I am hoping it will play spotify, control smart lights and function as an alarm as a starter. Not expecting great things, just got it because it was cheap and the teenager needs an alarm.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast