Like Tree19Likes

IPTV Boxes - 2018 Reviews

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Actually the ubox pro is out now, which I guess is the 5. Its smaller than the 4 and has "PRO" printed on the front. Software wise, it runs Android 7 now which is good for those who want to run their own 3rd party apps on the box especially after the HK customs department kills off the UBTV app. My old ubox gen 2 could never run Kodi v17 and I was stuck on 16. I use Kodi for watching all the free Australian TV channels (7,9,10, etc) and the AFL footy games. I use my sisters Telstra ID from Australia combined with a smartDNS to get every Australian footy game live and free in excellent quality on my big screen TV.
    Which SmartDNS are you using for Australia?
    I tried one a while back and didn't have much luck

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    I guess at least with ubox, its a generic android box, so you could put netflix etc on it if the various TV services stop working.

Maige (which IMHO was so much more better) was a custom locked UI (don't even know which OS it was running).
    Indeed, I have the Ubox 3 and running Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi and Mobdro (now and again) and kids mainly use YouTube so wont affect us too much if it was shut down. I only watch F1 and mother in law uses to watch TVB when she's over and thats it anyway. So no biggie at all for us.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Which SmartDNS are you using for Australia?
    I tried one a while back and didn't have much luck
    Dns4me. Free 7 day trial so no risk to try it out. What in particular do you want it for? I use for Netflix US as well as all the Australian content (every Australian free to air channel as well as the catchup services like 7plus, NineNow, etc, as well as the footy streaming through Telstra which is free if you have a Telstra mobile like my sister back home).

https://dns4me.net/

Dns4me. Free 7 day trial so no risk to try it out. What in particular do you want it for?
    I want to get the Aussie FTA TV, so it sounds like it should work.
    I know I used it in the past but it didn't work so well, I'll give it another go.

cheers

I guess it's time I should throw my Maige out ??

Im using a Wozbox with Roq TV

Dns4me. Free 7 day trial so no risk to try it out. What in particular do you want it for? I use for Netflix US...
    I purchased Netflix for the family, a multi account thing. As its well known, its missing a lot of stuff that is available in the US.

Is watching the US content as easy as getting a VPN or are there other steps & hoops to jump thru?
    Any documentation you could point me at would be appreciated.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    I want to get the Aussie FTA TV, so it sounds like it should work.
    I know I used it in the past but it didn't work so well, I'll give it another go.

cheers
    There is a new Kodi plugin called AU FREEVIEW that is excellent and has all the Australian channels from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth. Perth is the best choice not because it happens to be my home town but is in the same time zone as HK so can watch Sunrise in the morning while I'm eating breakfast and getting ready for work . This addin recently (in the last few weeks) added the channels ONE, ELEVEN so I think it really does have every channel now. It even has Food Network, Fox Sports News Australia, and some others that I don't think are free to air.

There is also an official Freeview Australia app called "Freeview FV" but I think its designed for mobile phones and doesnt work well on android box on TV (at least last time I tried it a while ago). Better stick with the unofficial Kodi app.

Also there is an NZ FREEVIEW app as well for the Kiwi's. It's not for me except before when I couldn't get the footy through Telstra they used to have it on DUKE (NZ Channel). It was funny watching Aussie rules games with Kiwi accents on all the ads

https://www.matthuisman.nz/2017/08/a...di-add-on.html
    robertlempriere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    I guess at least with ubox, its a generic android box, so you could put netflix etc on it if the various TV services stop working.

Maige (which IMHO was so much more better) was a custom locked UI (don't even know which OS it was running).
    And that Maige was charging an annual subscription fee to access licensed product was probably what landed them in hot water.

A quick search shows that people that sold android boxes with Kodi pre-loaded have been prosecuted in several countries. Perhaps the next iteration on Unblock box will ship with no apps pre-installed so they have an out.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    I purchased Netflix for the family, a multi account thing. As its well known, its missing a lot of stuff that is available in the US.

Is watching the US content as easy as getting a VPN or are there other steps & hoops to jump thru?
    Any documentation you could point me at would be appreciated.
    Not a VPN but a smartdns. Smartdns is much better than VPN because its cheaper, and your usual internet remains "full speed" because not all your traffic is routed through a Smartdns like it is with a VPN.

Getting Netflix USA to work in HK with Smartdns services is a bit of a gamble. In recent years they cracked down on this and a lot of services gave up supporting Netflix. But I can say for the last 6 months, it has worked with Dns4me without any major issues. There has been the odd occasion where Netflix doesn't load, in these instances I need to login to the dns4me website and untick the 'netflix' option and then netflix will switch back to showing the HK stuff without me having to change netflix accounts. Then the next day I will turn back on the USA option and its working again. So it's not perfect but Netflix USA does work more than 90% of the time fine with dns4me.

As far as documentation goes, I suggest you try dns4me with 7 day free trial and they have some guides how to set it up. Basically you sign up, enter their DNS primary and secondary servers into your home router, enter your IP address into the dns4me website, and that's it, your whole home is now under the smartdns umbrella so any websites or services that are geoblocked suddently become unblocked.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast