Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

IPTV Boxes - 2018 Reviews

Has it really been 4 years that Maige has gone? I really enjoyed using it. I can actually remember renewing the subscription.

The UBOX has been a decent replacement, the channels that I watch stream well. I've given the 2nd and 3rd gen versions away to friends, and have recommended many others to use it.

shri likes this.

Ah the good ole Maige box that turned into a paper weight LOL
    After the downfall of Maige I have been using UBox ever since and now using UBOX V4, even if ubox own app gets blocked off luckily as others have mentioned there are plenty of other apps to install and continue watching for the great prices of HK$7XX

I have a UBox 3 but running some 3d party apps just doesn't work. Showbox (kind of) and Modbro (kind of) but many other alternative apps won't run on the 3 for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix
    I have a UBox 3 but running some 3d party apps just doesn't work. Showbox (kind of) and Modbro (kind of) but many other alternative apps won't run on the 3 for some reason.
    You'll find that the film companies are on the war path at the moment, a number of APK developers have been issued with cease and desist orders and some of the bigger ones are in the process of being sued, for example Showbox and Kodi, and a long laundry list of apk file developers that were supplying content. So there wont be much available to use on an android box until that dust settles and some new method of streaming is thought up to keep one step ahead of the film distributors/film companies.

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    There is a new Kodi plugin called AU FREEVIEW that is excellent and has all the Australian channels from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth...
    I'm looking for ways to watch Aussie FTA TV channels in HK too.

I'm totally new to this android TV box thing. (Haven't got one and have never used one before.) Is it easy to install these KODI add-on? And with the AU FREEVIEW add-on, will I still need a DNS service? & do I get access to replays or just the live channels?

If I don't care whether I watch it on the big TV screen or on the smaller computer screen. Would you suggest getting a ubox or simply getting a DNS service and watch it on my laptop?

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by Apprehensive
    I'm looking for ways to watch Aussie FTA TV channels in HK too.

I'm totally new to this android TV box thing. (Haven't got one and have never used one before.) Is it easy to install these KODI add-on? And with the AU FREEVIEW add-on, will I still need a DNS service? & do I get access to replays or just the live channels?

If I don't care whether I watch it on the big TV screen or on the smaller computer screen. Would you suggest getting a ubox or simply getting a DNS service and watch it on my laptop?
    If you just want to watch Australian TV on laptop, then all you need to do is subscribe to the smartdns such as dns4me (cost is a few AUD per month) and that's it. To watch live TV just go to channel 7, 9 website etc and watch there. Eg go 7live.com.au to watch 7, 7two, 7mate, 7flix, etc. Or there is a Windows 10 app called "Aussie TV FTW" you can install that is maybe a bit nicer and combines all the channels into one interface so maybe try this app. To watch the replays, its a similar situation, eg just go to 7plus.com.au to watch all the 7 stuff, etc.

If you want it on a real TV with a remote control, then this is where you need an android box. Ubox is a good choice because it comes with an app with around 700 channels from around the world, all the usual stuff you get on pay tv such as CNN, Discovery, Nat Geo, etc. But no Aussie TV. So then you can add your own apps on top of the built in ubox apps for the Australian TV. So this is Kodi and the AU FREEVIEW plugin that works inside Kodi. So then you end up with one android box with one remote to control your TV and be able to watch 700 channels from around the world plus all the Aussie stuff.

If you are after AFL football in particular, there are some other hacks you will need to do to get this. Since 7 hold the broadcast rights but not streaming rights for AFL (Telstra has streaming rights) every time the footy is on 7 or 7mate the streaming channels cuut away from the regular FTA broadcast and show re-runs of border security. To get around this problem, there is another kodi plugin called AFL VIDEO and if you have a Telstra ID (if one of your mates back home uses Telstra) then it's free. But you still need the smartdns for a few dollars a month.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    If you just want to watch Australian TV on laptop, then all you need to do is subscribe to the smartdns such as dns4me (cost is a few AUD per month) and that's it. To watch live TV just go to channel 7, 9 website etc and watch there. Eg go 7live.com.au to watch 7, 7two, 7mate, 7flix, etc. ...
    Thank you for your very detailed explanation. So just to be clear, I will still need a DNS subscription either way (i.e. either if I just stick to watching on my laptop or getting a ubox) if I wanna access Aussie TV. Correct?

As for AFL, would any special app be needed to watch it on a laptop (with a DNS subscription & a Telstra AFL pass)? I believe the Telstra's AFL pass only allow you to watch the live games on mobile devices but not on PCs.(Not a footy fan myself but got a mate back home who is. He travels a lot for work and would get upset about missing the games.) Alternatively, would DNS work on a smartphone?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast